The twin lens reflex

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do not know if the obsolete 127 format is considered medium format or not but my the years of shooting "super slides" (We called them 2x2s.) certainly out did the prevailing 35mm slides.

Though 127 was a common format for the point and shoot cameras, the TLRs were most often 120 format and beyond the price range of a high school student. However the Yashica 44LM was not.

I burned a lot of Ektachrome through that camera, before moving on to an SLR with interchangeable lenses. I am curious how many still shoot from the hip with a TLR.

Though the judicious use of a cigar cutter, a roll of 120 and a changing bag, I produced a roll of so 127 film. It loaded into the camera okay; now I am anxious to go forth and take pictures.

I have a couple of twin lenses, for decor and/or to use. I've used my 44 when they were still making 127 film but haven't had it out in a long time. (Thought they quit making it).

For whatever reason I have fun looking down into the viewfinder, just a different way I guess of holding a camera and viewing the images. Not particularly hard, just different, I have fun with it.

I've always wanted a TLR. I think it's such an elegant design, and I like the unique "from the hip" perspective, especially from street TLR shooters. I think it's awesome that you made 127 to shoot yours!

I like my digital but at heart I am a tinkerer. I enjoy bringing things back to life. I restored my Uncle's 1915 4x5 view camera and when I saw a YouTube video of someone cutting a roll of 120 down to 127 width with a cigar cutter. Spools were not an issue because I have a number of old point and shoot cameras. So I cut and loaded it, so far I have shot about half a roll and it seems to feed okay. With only 12 shots and manual settings I am very fussy about what I take pictures of. :)

Waist level shooting is always fun. I have a few TLRs - The Yashica 44 which doesn't get a lot of use due to the 127 scarcity, a Mamiya C330 (such a beast!) and also a Voigtländer SUPERB which is Superb! :)

Last edited:
I had a Minolta and a Yashicamat.

The Minolta bit the dust and the Yashika is no longer usable and collects dust.

One reason I am seriously thinking of the mirrorless (especially the sony nex) is that the viewfinder can flip up like a TLR .

I love the usage of a TLR.

I started with a Mamiya C330 but swapped that out to a Bronica SQ-A. I've gotten a hold of Yashica's A, 44, and MATs ... Ricoh Diacords, Rolleicords, ... but the best one is my Minolta Autocord (I have never had a Rolleiflex cause they cost too much).
... still have to get rid of a 4x4 and 6x6 sitting upstairs (nobody wants them)

Thanks! I hadn't run across that but then I haven't looked in awhile (I can't even remember what I bought before). My little blue Baby 44 might start dancing on the bookcase in anticipation while I go down the Freestyle Photo rabbit hole!

Last edited:
Nobody wants what Dennis??!

Ooh, this is almost as good as going to the camera swap!! Not familiar with the Primo, will have to go look it up.

I didn't even go to Freestyle yet because I had things to get done today, but will get lost on their site soon enough.

Look at that pretty green Minolta.

Hey, that is my wife's camera (Green Minolta) ... not to be sold (especially since I broke it once ... but I fixed it).

I've still got some of these (and others) I need to unload ... :fangs: ... just ask.

FB_IMG_1569817513023.jpg
When I was a kid I bought a 1958 Super Ricohflex , which was one of many models of twin lens reflex cameras made in Japan after the second World War. A year or two later I had a 1940 Argoflex E, which had a rather slow f / 4.5 uncoated taking lens, and as I recall speeds of 25 50 100 200.

Above is a low-resolution Facebook Memories shot one of my favorite 1976 twin lens reflex photos which I made when I was about 12 or 13 years old. I used the Super Ricohflex to make this photo using Kodak Verichrome black and white film.

Last edited:
@Derrel ... you are showing your age there ... though I envy you, as when I was a kid I had a 110 camera but I wasn't into photography until my teens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back