Travel photography lens and camera

Captaincapture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi all,

I'm in a state of utter uncertainty at the moment trying to decide what to take/buy for my travels next year.

I currently own a canon 550d, a 50mm f1.8 lens and a sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens. I've had the camera for about 7 years now. I picked the sigma lens up second hand for about $150 so I'm not heavily invested in my gear.

Next year I'm going to go travelling through Europe and South America for 6-12 months and would really like to make the most out of my trip and make sure I take some awesome photos!!!

Whilst I've had the camera for a while I have only recently been reinspired and have been playing around in Lightroom etc.

The lens' I currently own are not great for landscape or travel photography.

I'm contemplating whether to simply buy a 17-55mm canon lens or upgrade camera to a canon 6d mII or perhaps buy a new crop and new lens

What are the benefits, pros cons? I've read lots of reviews etc but would like to know realistically would buying a full frame or a "better" camera improve my photography?

Would I be better maybe moving into the entry full frame Nikon cameras?

I know that was long but thanks in advance sam :)

hi all,

I'm in a state of utter uncertainty at the moment trying to decide what to take/buy for my travels next year.

I currently own a canon 550d, a 50mm f1.8 lens and a sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens. I've had the camera for about 7 years now. I picked the sigma lens up second hand for about $150 so I'm not heavily invested in my gear.

Next year I'm going to go travelling through Europe and South America for 6-12 months and would really like to make the most out of my trip and make sure I take some awesome photos!!!

Whilst I've had the camera for a while I have only recently been reinspired and have been playing around in Lightroom etc.

The lens' I currently own are not great for landscape or travel photography.

I'm contemplating whether to simply buy a 17-55mm canon lens or upgrade camera to a canon 6d mII or perhaps buy a new crop and new lens

What are the benefits, pros cons? I've read lots of reviews etc but would like to know realistically would buying a full frame or a "better" camera improve my photography?
Would I be better maybe moving into the entry full frame Nikon cameras?
I know that was long but thanks in advance sam :)

yes, a Sigma 17-50 2.8 or Canon 17-55 would be better and full frame models are better in low light but if the camera is used primarily for travel also look at mirrorless options from Sony, Canon, fuji, etc. Mirrorless is smaller and lighter and can use DSLR lens.
go to a store like Best Buy and try out all the models and lenses (bring your own SD card)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

The reason you aren't getting a bunch of answers is you have a grab bag of options to this problem and want someone else to sort it out. Its like asking what type of car should I buy and telling people you like racing and have 9 kinds and a 40' trailer you need to tow.

Okay so you have given four options with the impression that you've had the gear a while but may not have been using it regularly and could still be a novice shooter. It is the perspective of this level of shooter I'm going to answer these options from.

Option A:
Buy a Canon 17-55mm lens.
This is by far the most inexpensive choice of the three and would probably see the most benefit per $.

Option B:
Buy a Canon 6DmkII. This will be one of the more expensive options and although will provide the potential for improved picture quality, if the shooters skills and knowledge aren't there to take advantage of the camera, the images will not improve that much. This makes it one of the most questionable choices. Only you know your skill level here.

Option C:
Buy new crop camera and lens. The 550D is still and 18mpix camera. Today's crop sensor cameras aren't that far ahead on image quality. They do have better focusing and better light handling capabilities. This could see the lower benefit per $ if you are shooting during the day in well lit places.

Option D:
Switch to Nikon full frame. This has the most number of questions for you. This option has every benefit AND every pitfall as all of the previous options combined plus the added problem of learning a new system.

So now you want to know which option is best. simple answer is any one in the right situation.

Option A: You're still a novice shooter and need to cover a focal range that you currently can't. You have not met the limits of your gear and still have room to grow.

Option B: You are an intermediate shooter and are at the point where you understand the limits of the 550D and can see the added benefit the 6DMKII will provide.

Option C: You are an intermediate shooter and are at the point where you understand the limits of the 550D and can see the added benefit a newer crop body will provide.

Option D: You are an intermediate shooter and are at the point where you understand the limits of the 550D and have looked into the Nikon line and like what you see. The switch is and exciting and you look forward to the new experience.

Now on the system switch. If this is the option you choose, I recommend that you look at other systems as well, i.e. mirrorless. They have come a long way and will be the standard in the years to come.

Hope this is near what you were looking for.

I would go with a Canon 18-135 lens.
One lens that will take you from wide (28mm equiv) to medium tele (215mm equiv).

However, you are falling into the trap of "better gear = better pix."
YOU need to get your photo skills up, to get your "awesome photos." Get out there and shoot, and critically evaluate what you shoot.

Most reactions

Back