Weird damage pattern on 120 film (Rolleiflex)

VikGrom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
41665824994_67d08e43be_k.jpg
28516005298_57df10f865_k.jpg
42340233182_8d3b6e8fc3_k.jpg
28516042148_6c22428eca_k.jpg
After I got my film developed in a local photography shop I noticed this very unusual "light leak" damage and a pattern of dots to go along with it. It only affected first frame of two rolls that I have looked at for the most part. Some of the subsequent frames display a bit of a dot pattern as well but no light damage (I think). Has anyone ever seen this kind of issues? Is that a damage done during development, during travel, during storage, or while inserting film into my Rolleiflex Automat MX?
26tSfa1

KrRYTL

27vsLdo

KrSaR7

Are those spots on the film or in the film? On the film would be bad process, in the film could be a light leak or bad fixing/stabilizer. If storage had humidity or extreme cold the paper backing could cause damage to the film.
Scans are dusty.

The dots are very regular. Neither dust nor light is likely to be that regular. To me, it suggests a mechanical issue.

As above, are the dots on the film in in the film?

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Could be scratches from a frozen, corroded, or dirty roller. The film gets pulled over a few roller bars before getting set in place then over at least one more before entering the take up roll. If the bar is not spinning freely it may be scratching the film or if its dirty, rusted, or corroded it may be impacting the film as well. Take a look at the film path and make sure all roller bars are clean and moving freely.

Looks like pressure plate marks.

Through the paper backing?

It could be created at the lab as well. Poor maintenance, dirty machinery etc.

What kind of film?
120 Kodak Portra 800

The dots are very regular. Neither dust nor light is likely to be that regular. To me, it suggests a mechanical issue.

As above, are the dots on the film in in the film?

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

After few people mentioned it I looked closer at the film itself and I believe the spots are on, not in, the film. So I should assume this is a damage from the lab and cannot be cleaned via alcohol or something?
Also - that nasty lightleak - could it be from me inserting the film and advancing it a bit too much before closing the backing?

Thank you for all the responses!

I'd try another roll using a different lab for processing and see what happens. It doesn't seem consistent enough shot to shot to be the camera.

Most reactions

Back