What do you make of this?

That old saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted" applies to deals like this one.there are so many people these days looking for the absolute lowest price when buying camera gear that it just makes my head spin. We have seen so many people ask about deals like this,and it's common for people who are very tight-asked*
to try and get a super,super,super low price,to the extent that final selling price deals that are 50% to 350% lower than wholesale price to actual dealers are common in scam site listings like the above referenced "deal". There is a certain type of person who wants a deal so badly that he or she is willing to believethat a literally _impossibly low_price can be theirs.

It's good to talk about this type of scam selling now that Holiday sales are in full swing. My above comments were not directed at the OP, but at the many "others" out there.

FWIW, the scoop on the (real) URL of the page:

SEO Score 68%
Terms 71 (Unique: 42, Linked: 6)
Images 2 (Alt tags missing: 2)
Links 4 (Internal: 0, Outbound: 2)
Whois Record ( last updated on 2018-12-01 )
Registrant WhoisGuard Protected
Registrant Org WhoisGuard, Inc.
Registrant Country PA
Registrar NAMECHEAP INC
IANA ID: 1068
URL: Cheap Domain Names - Buy Domain Names from $0.88 - Namecheap
Whois Server: whois.namecheap.com
email.pgif

(p)
phone.pgif

Registrar Status clientTransferProhibited
Dates 19 days old
Created on 2018-11-12
Expires on 2019-11-12
Updated on 2018-11-12

Name Servers DNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM (has 5,342,588 domains)
DNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM (has 5,342,588 domains)

Tech Contact WhoisGuard Protected
WhoisGuard, Inc.
P.O. Box 0823-03411,
Panama, Panama, PA
email.pgif

(p)
phone.pgif
(f)
phone.pgif

IP Address 198.54.117.210 - 2,135,924 other sites hosted on this server

IP Location
us.gif
- Georgia - Atlanta - Namecheap Inc.
ASN
us.gif
AS22612 NAMECHEAP-NET - Namecheap, Inc., US (registered Jun 21, 2011)
Domain Status Registered And Active Website
IP History 1 change on 1 unique IP addresses over 0 years

Registrar History 1 registrar

Hosting History 1 change on 2 unique name servers over 0 year

All you have to do is look at the URL - there's nothing remotely eBay about it,and all of the other links on the page take you to the same "cameras-ph.digital" domain. Of course it's scam. Of interest though, how did you come across it?
Here is how I got this link. The ad first appeared on CraigsList with a text only way of replying.

(original craigslist ad)
Nikon D850 with lens

I replied that I was interested the seller texted me to send them my email and that would send me all the info. The info stated that the camera belonged to his sister and that she would contact me. Later on I got an email from the sister with the ebay link in it. I 1st went to ebay and looked for the camera and it was not there, then I tried the link and got the suspicious page with the links that do not work. This thing has SCAM written all over it.

Here is the original email I got from Wanda.

"The Nikon D850 45.7MP Digital SLR with Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300 mm F3.2-5.66 ED VR lens are brand new, zero shutter count. Comes with all original accessories and original packaging. I`m selling it because i don`t want to miss a great iMac deal offer for my new job.

The price is firm, $1000 shipping included. Now I'm in Great Falls, MT with my job and i've listed the camera on e-Bay because I don't have time to meet with the buyer.If you are still interested I'll send you the e-Bay link and you can buy it from there.

Thank you!
Wanda"

Wanda is the price of Nigeria. Drop This already.

Most reactions

Back