which canon film EOS to buy

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well i've decided to sell my nikon (it will be a sad departure) so that I can get a EOS filmer to share the EF lenses I have with my 20d. I dont need loads of features (but the more for the money the better), just something solid with reliable autofocus. Something for less than 300 or so used would do the trick. Any suggestions? I've looked a little into the Elan 7n and perhaps a used EOS-3 or 1 series if i can find a nice deal. I'd like something comparible to the 20d in size and weight, but that's not completely necessary. thanks for the help!

I have the Elan 7n and love it. Especially with the extra BP-300 battery grip. If you're willing to spend quite a bit more, the 3 or 1 I'm sure are nicer cameras but the 7n will probably give you the most bang for the buck. I have never had an instance where my camera wasn't able to do something I wanted it to -- which I know would have happened if I had gone with anything lower-end like the rebels. Pretty much the only main differences between the 7n and the 3 is that the 3 has more af points and probably a slightly better metering system. The 1 has an even better AF system, plus some other features like the ability to control the camera from a computer.

If you're interested there's also the 7NE, which has the eye-sensitive focusing feature that automatically selects the AF point that you're looking at. When I got my camera I decided to just go with the 7N because the eye feature added about $100 to the price tag and just sounded gimmicky to me anyway. I suppose it could be useful though if you do a large amount of action photography.

So while the 1 and 3 are Canon's higher-end cameras, the 7N isn't far behind at all in terms of overall quality and available features. If the 3 seems a bit out of your price range, then by all means go for the 7N/NE. It's a nice camera, and looks really nice especially when you attach the battery pack accesory and a good lens like your tamron 17-35. ;)

yeah i'll probably end up getting the 7n or 7ne. sounds like a great cam. I'm not going to be using this exclusively, so i dont need the 45 autofocus points really (i'll be using it for portraits and landscapes mostly). how much is the battery grip?

i cant wait to try the tamron on a full frame - i'm curious to see how wide it looks in comparison :D

You can still use your nikon glass on a canon body. Especially on a film body where the viewfinder is big enough to actually allow you to focus.

a used EOS 3 is almost in your price range and the build and AF is way better than that of Elan. But elan is smaller and more convenient.

I'd keep the F3 and the lenses. It's a nice machine.

If you are looking for an older EOS, I really liked and may still get an EOS 10s.

DocFrankenstein said:
You can still use your nikon glass on a canon body. Especially on a film body where the viewfinder is big enough to actually allow you to focus.

But it requires a special adapter, which doesn't work with AF and won't let you set the aperture electronically (you can only set it if the lens has a manual f-stop ring).

I really like my 7ne. Couldn't ask for more, except for the dslr I'm saving for.

Never tried the Elan 7 but I do have an A2 that I absolutely LOVE!!! It's an older model so it's readily available at a nice price. Did I mention that I LOVE this camera? :lol:

DocFrankenstein said:

a used EOS 3 is almost in your price range and the build and AF is way better than that of Elan. But elan is smaller and more convenient.

I'd keep the F3 and the lenses. It's a nice machine.

i thought about that, keeping the f3. my lenses arent really 'making the grade' though, and i dont want to spend money on new nikon MF lenses when i could just use my canon lenses on an EOS 3 or an elan 7.

Unimaxium said:
But it requires a special adapter, which doesn't work with AF and won't let you set the aperture electronically (you can only set it if the lens has a manual f-stop ring).
And the point of your post? If he has an F3 - a MANUAL body, what kind of lenses do you think he has?

And most of the noink AF glass has an aperture ring, so that's not a problem.

Plus - canon consumer bodies allow you to meter and stop down the lens (albeit manually). Nikon bodies don't.

thebeginning - right choice. If you're buying an AF body, get the AF glass to go with it and enjoy it. Canon's viewfinders suck for manual focusing.

They sell used Canon EOS 1N cameras on Adorama... for about your price range. :)
ADORAMA

They are really amazing camera bodies, I am very impressed with mine!
Most people are concerned about the weight of the camera... for me, I didn't even notice it after the first day of shooting... in fact, my other cameras felt cheap after holding that thing! :lol:

The autofocus on it is very fast, even in low light and I wouldn't be afraid to drop it... it's so strong. (maybe not the lens so much though... lol)

It also has a lot of custom functions that are really awesome!

I hope you get what you need!
good luck,
-Chris :)

thanks for the tips guys

after seeing the used 1n's at adorama, i'm thinking about grabbing one of those with the battery grip. weight doesnt bother me, i like huge cameras. :)

thebeginning said:
thanks for the tips guys

after seeing the used 1n's at adorama, i'm thinking about grabbing one of those with the battery grip. weight doesnt bother me, i like huge cameras. :)
Well, it's a great camera! :D I'm very pleased with mine! :thumbup:
I don't have a battery grip.... that might be cool to get some day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back