Why is my shutter speed not budging in A mode?

Ok.. the images were too large to post directly which is why I web linked them. Clearly I am new to this so more guidance and less beginner shaming would be appreciated. If you have suggestions on how to resize the images without losing the data that would be helpful.
Steady on, there was no "beginner shaming". You have to appreciate that the vast majority of technical questions here are responded to by a relatively small group, who often put a LOT of their time into helping others, and it's more than a bit frustrating when you're trying to help someone, but that person won't provide the tools you need to help them.

I'd suspect a minimum shutter speed was set with AUTO ISO.

You don't mention what camera you have, so we can't recommend what to check.

Bingo! On the D3300 on your rear screen if you have your camera information up. If you select auto ISO, there will be a real small triangle that indicates what you chose as max ISO. If you selected a min shutter speed there will be a small triangle above that speed. Both of these triangles have the base at the number and the point towards the center of the graphic. They will stay with those numbers as the setting change and the numbers roll up / down as the camera makes changes.

The shutter speed triangle will be there even if the minimum shutter speed is set to auto. It will change depending on your lens length. Say you have 55-200 on. It may show 1/125 as min at 55mm but may go to 1/250 when you zoom to 200mm.

Ok.. the images were too large to post directly which is why I web linked them. Clearly I am new to this so more guidance and less beginner shaming would be appreciated. If you have suggestions on how to resize the images without losing the data that would be helpful.
Steady on, there was no "beginner shaming". You have to appreciate that the vast majority of technical questions here are responded to by a relatively small group, who often put a LOT of their time into helping others, and it's more than a bit frustrating when you're trying to help someone, but that person won't provide the tools you need to help them.

I can understand that, and appreciate the guidance, but I did not know you needed data beyond what I provided... had I known, I would have provided it in the first place. Hence the term "beginner"! I know for the future. I figured out the issue, thank you.

I can understand that, and appreciate the guidance, but I did not know you needed data beyond what I provided... had I known, I would have provided it in the first place. Hence the term "beginner"! I know for the future. I figured out the issue, thank you.
If you search "EXIF Data" online, you'll see that there is potentially a HUGE amount of information.

Derrel is probably the most helpful and patient guy in the world, give him another chance - he must have had a bad day ;)
Maybe directly POST the images here, on TPF. Your images have been stripped of EXIF info,making it impossible to see the exposure data. Do not "save for web". Really a PITA trying to help when the images have no EXIF data, and you seem unable to identify what's happening and post links to offsite-hosted shots, on your Flickr pages , when asking for help. If you want to ask for help then ADD the full EXIF details, rather than make people who are trying to help guess.

"FULL EXIF data' is NOT just a speed and aperture and an ISO value...full EXIF includes much,much more information. Like the exposure mode you were **actually** using.

For a bit of additional info: I know that with my camera the way it's programmed it'll default to the lowest ISO with a shutter speed of above 1/60th (which is normally fast enough to hand hold wide to short telephotos) in an effort to balance shutter speed with high iso noise. I find a lot of the time I want to shoot with much faster shutter speed (and I can't set a minimum shutter speed in my camera) so it's one of the reasons I often shoot in manual mode with auto ISO where I can control both shutter speed and aperture, then let the metering mode combined with the auto ISO set the exposure.

For a bit of additional info: I know that with my camera the way it's programmed it'll default to the lowest ISO with a shutter speed of above 1/60th (which is normally fast enough to hand hold wide to short telephotos) in an effort to balance shutter speed with high iso noise. I find a lot of the time I want to shoot with much faster shutter speed (and I can't set a minimum shutter speed in my camera) so it's one of the reasons I often shoot in manual mode with auto ISO where I can control both shutter speed and aperture, then let the metering mode combined with the auto ISO set the exposure.
I do the same. manual mode so that I can set Shutter (to stop motion the way I want it to), Aperture (for the Depth of Field that I want) and then let the camera decide on ISO with AUTO ISO with a max.

If one uses Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority I've found those are useful but then one has to set minimal Aperture or Shutter. If you give the camera full rein more than likely it will pick something that you won't like the results of in one way or another.

Hi.

When using A priority with Auto ISO you're letting the camera choose both shutter speed and ISO. How is the camera to know which is more important to the shot? Maybe you're hand holding and a faster shutter is more important or you're using a tripod and prefer a longer shutter speed and lower ISO... You could end up with either noisy photos or motion blur/camera shake.

If you're going to use A mode, set your ISO yourself. If shooting in changing light, manually setting ss and aperture then using Auto ISO works well. P Mode can also be effective in that situation. A mode works best in a more controlled environment with good lighting or a tripod and with ISO set manually.

Also, have to agree that there was no beginner shaming. Maybe you're sensitive to that based on other forums but I don't think that's an issue here.

Thank you, I appreciate all of your feedback, it's very helpful!

Most reactions

Back