5 Quick Ways To Tell You Are Not A Photographer Yet

love the head shot

Looks like Iḿ halfway there. Big camera, no auto mode, get paid once in a blue moon, no website, relatives highly confused by my stuff.

That video they linked to is a poor argument. It's the lighting and pp that makes the shots, not the photographer's awesome skill (though he might have set up the lights himself).

Last edited:
I took a look at what this guy had to say about headshots and I wouldn't trust him about anything :grumpy:

Who's Robert Dinero? ;)

Good way to get blog hits, right? Pretty goofy article though..

This kinda makes me think of Khara Plicanic's Lessons from Uncle Bob at Photographer's Ignite from 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping that would be a bit more provocative given the title. I was wrong. Can we add some ourselves, but change it to "Things that don't magically change you into a photographer."

A watermark
A big watermark
A flickr/500px/razzi etc account
A huge lens.
Walking around with your dSLR like it's an accessory.
Bringing every single lens you own with you to every shoot.
Thinking you need a dSLR to take good photos.
Using a tripod.
Shallow DoF.

Don't like it. Seems more like parroted opinions and cliches rather firm info. And why do you have to charge to be validated? It's not possible to be a hobbyist who occasionally does work as a favor?photographer [fəˈtɒgrəfə]n(Business / Professions) a person who takes photographs, either as a hobby or a profession. Hate to burst the author's bubble, but there is no level of competency required to be labeled as a photographer. The act taking photographs is simply what makes someone a photographer. I'm not saying it makes them good, or competent, but it is the way it is wether people think it should be or not.

I never claim to be a photographer.

I'm just some dude that likes to take pictures.

I was hoping that would be a bit more provocative given the title. I was wrong. Can we add some ourselves, but change it to "Things that don't magically change you into a photographer."

Shallow DoF.

LOL. This seems to be the big thing these days.

Shallow DoF.

LOL. This seems to be the big thing these days.

"P" mode for "Professional!"

Most reactions

Back