Are most photographers snobs?

What's that? You want my "credentials?" Let's not beat around the bush. You would not "love to view" my images. You'd love to find out if also walk the walk. Perhaps you should just err on the side of caution and add me to your ignore list, so you can avoid the hassle of trying to decide whether or not I'm worthy of being listened to. In fact, I'd prefer it to a pissing contest. You wanna see how big my balls are? Use the search function.

Max, you're a stand-up kinda guy. I knew, sooner or later, you would piss off the OP. :lmao:

Please answer honestly your opinion. :hugs: To all the kind ones.

What is it that makes one look down on a novice when every one began at the same place? The bottom.

Is the industry that jam-packed and no one wants to make room for another photographer?

How does one decide who’s worthy?

I don't look down on them. I was one once to. I'll help all I can, even when I'm working I'll still take the time to help someone. I shoot a lot of "events" where there's lots of photographers , Funny, for what ever reason even when I was just starting out other photographers would ask me questions.. lots of them LOL I guess I looked the part :mrgreen:

Now I will get annoyed with the novice who ..acts like a Know it all, all cocky and such, there on there own with me.

But for the most part it's a good furturnity, Even shooting large concerts from the pit, where it's every photographer from there selves, elbow to elbow theres still plenty of common courtesy.

Bottom line is I'll go out of my way to help a novice out.

I'm shooting "Jet Wars" at Maryland International Raceway Next Sat. shooting last years event there was a novice there and I noticed he had no form of ear protection!! I use a headset, but carry a pack of cheap ear plugs. I gave him a pair to wear and he was very thankful. Said it was his first drag race and he forgot about that. Maybe he will remember that and help out someone else later down the road.

You cannot imagine how negative our attitude is toward newbies with arrogant philosophies about the nature of photography and photographic art based on NO study, and NO experience. Newbies asking the MOST BASIC of questions, because they have not done any reading of anything about photography whatsoever, even the camera manual.
Thankfully I didn't/don't. I only think I don't suck because I can take a photo without cut off heads and other really stupid mistakes. I do look up infomation, I know I don't know much but then that's why I ask other people, people I don't even know if they have a lot of experance behind their statements.
I have seen people who do that, not in photography but other art like drawing, thinking they are good when they are horriable at it & refuse to admit it.

I believe it takes study AND talent to be successful in almost any field. You cannot deny the importance of either.....

Many self taught people will down play formal study.
Many highly studied people will down play pure talent.

Both groups are snobs for not acknowledging the importance of both

x2

How many snobs have you counted in this thread?

What's that? You want my "credentials?" Let's not beat around the bush. You would not "love to view" my images. You'd love to find out if also walk the walk. Perhaps you should just err on the side of caution and add me to your ignore list, so you can avoid the hassle of trying to decide whether or not I'm worthy of being listened to. In fact, I'd prefer it to a pissing contest. You wanna see how big my balls are? Use the search function.

A simple no would suffice. I’ve viewed many images by posters and the links are available in their signature. You don’t have one so I asked for one. I don’t beat around the bush hun if I have something to say I will. I have no intention of putting anyone on an ignore list. If that’s how you deal with your issues do as please. I would do a search but I’m not too fond of balls however I’d love to see how big your c*ck is.

A simple no would suffice. I’ve viewed many images by posters and the links are available in their signature. You don’t have one so I asked for one. I don’t beat around the bush hun if I have something to say I will. I have no intention of putting anyone on an ignore list. If that’s how you deal with your issues do as please. I would do a search but I’m not too fond of balls however I’d love to see how big your c*ck is.

Oh I'm so sorry. Please allow me to provide you with a comprehensive list of links to my photos on this forum, for you to view at your conveniece.

What was that you were saying about not being lazy?

I don't know anyone who went to school for photography who believes that it made them a better photographer.

I followed along on a NYIP course and we both felt it made us "better photographers" - and I was already "self taught". Though I did feel like arguing with the instructors quite often I now chalk that up to being young and foolish.

What is it that makes one look down on a novice when every one began at the same place? The bottom.

I'm guessing it's peeps who are insecure with themselves. Some insecure people will stomp on others to elevate themselves. It makes them feel good about themselves.

Regarding gearheads: yeah, I can see it - I have Nikon, I have a Canaon, I shoot with a mdedium format, I shoot with a large format, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I've seen it in rec hockey with some dude with the latest (and most expensive) gear and not know the game. I've seen it on the golf course with blabbermouth yapping about his prized driver and you're nothing if you don't have one in your bag. *YAWN*

Hold your head high and master the light.

Is the industry that jam-packed and no one wants to make room for another photographer?

I can't speak of the photog industry, but I do have some experience in the art circles. There are some real asshats who are extremely shallow and are more worried about image and name-dropping than about the actual art. They don't last. You have to realize that in any industry there are people on their way up and others on their way down. Some have endurance, and others, well, they're just a flash in the pan. People can be fickle and you have to decide if you want to be part of a group. Let your work speak for itself.

How does one decide who’s worthy?

You decide if you're worthy. Work on your craft, develop and hone your skills and style. Nothing comes easy.

Blackfoot Native American! Thankyou very much! And we're hung like horses - I can prove it! :D

my head's spinning right now reading the posts yet i wasn't able to read them all, some that hit me in the head,

bif said something about the photographer title, yep, i agree, it's hard to carry a title like if you can't really prove it, i was out today taking pictures of my buds for their thing and he's talkin to someone on the phone, (a model who's in town for vacation and want to have pictures taken) and he was saying i can do it for her, i was like, dude, i'm just a walking sh*t with a camera, i don't want her to expect big things. i do my thing as crap as ell. idk what's gonna happen with that one.

and about being a better photographer if you go to school, i disagree. there are some people that naturally have it in them, perhaps they're the one who are lazy? to read books and mags and stuff but still they do wonders with camera. say they didn't go to photog school and still they're good, there are some that went to photog school but didn't really devoted their time into it and ending up bad.
point is, anybody can be good as long as they know it, deep inside theirself that they can do it. for those who are talented and went to go to school, good for them and like they say, students will be better than their teachers.

I have met my fair share of snobs in photography. They are usually the Im special and artistic types. I have nodded my head to some as I pass and, when they wont even acknowledge that my middle finger is used next. I dont tolerate arrogant people well. But then I have had people say Im too freindly, whatever the hell that means.

You wanna see how big my balls are? Use the search function.

I searched and did not find a picture of your balls.

I am good with that, though...

To answer the original post, yes there are a lot of snobs in photography... there are far more snobs in "internet" photography than in real life.

There are also a lot of snobs in nearly every hobby, it is part of human nature.

It reminds me of something that happened a couple weeks ago. I was at a zoo playing with my new Kodak Z712IS point & shoot, and I saw somebody with a tripod, a D300 and a 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens (identical to the equipment I had in the trunk of my own car in the parking lot, except the tripod which are STUPID things to use at a crowded zoo on a sunday).

I stood next to the guy and out of curiosity I watched him muck around with his camera trying to get a shot of a bird sitting perfectly still... I could tell by the angle he was using, by the aperture and shutter speed on his info display that he didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground... he sees me looking and with this totally pretentious tone he tells me that his camera and lens cost $5 grand (they don't) and that his pictures are going to look "so much better" than my "junky point & shoot."

What a total dweeb.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back