Are most photographers snobs?

I consider myself a bit snobby to people involved in skateboard photography to be perfectly honest.

Yeah, I think by reading this thread that this must be fairly common in the western world. It's not here thankfully. So what do you get out of being snobbish to them? I mean, how do you feel when you find out the guy you just dissed or whatever has an uncle that owns Skateboarder magazine and might have been able to get you a little fame and fun?

I always think it's better to be cool to everyone and network - work together and scratch each other's back. Thankfully I live in a country where that's the prevailing attitude. It makes for a very happy, healthy, enabled, and profitable atmosphere.

BTW, I wasn't trying to point the finger or anything. Just wondering out loud and noticing a few things.

Cool pics BTW! (Don't let it go to your head tho :D)

Glad someone picked up on it, didn't want to seem like a crazy person lol. :)

Yeah, i don't know about the whole snobbery thing. I haven't met too many photographers around here. The ones i've previously applied to for assistance work have been generally nice over the phone.

mind explaining that one? ;)

sure.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

the context of your post included material the could be considered baiting... the blunt accusation of Nikon owners being unable to focus on composition due to their inherent obsession with gear could provoke unnecessary emotional responses from the forum brethern.....

you may have been responding to Garbz post about Canon 5D owners and accuse him of being the primary troller.... however, it should be obvious this is not true as Garbz shoots Nikon... in the end his claim against 5D owners is validated as non trolling as he is simply speaking the truth...;)

this is too confusing for me *click*

Most photographers are not snobs.

Whether on some forum, or in real life, most experienced photographers would be happy to help a beginner.

But don't ask to be spoon-fed. I will teach you every single thing I know if you invest yourself simultaneously in learning on your own. But I will turn into the world's biggest snob if you act like you deserve it simply by virtue of asking for it. Gotta put in work.

OK, when you say you're "observant" and get these feelings, do you mean in your off-line social circles or with on-line stuff?

I'm talking about reality. Not virtual reality. I like the word photographer but I don't think it should be used as a label until one has reached the status (an understanding of the art form). A snob is a snob no matter what field. My issue is it seems the rate of photgrpahers has increased and it's as though "real photographers" or "older ones" have issues with another one popping up. My question is, is the pool that filled? Is there no space left in the photography world. I'm not including the paparazzi in this. I hope this helps Bifurcator:lol:.

Then there are other’s who’s um…mmmm… images ah look like garbage (said in a French accent). Now my eyes are new to the photography world. But I bet even if it wasn’t it would still look like trash.
Alex had a very succinct response to this view already.

My contribution is that you should look at images, whether it's on-line galleries, magazines, hard bound collections of photographers or whatever other medium you chose. Study the image and deduce what the photographer did to capture that moment in time. The lighting, point of view, depth of field, shutter speed and on and on and on. Then try to emulate the shot. Sometimes the garbage is quite extraordinary indeed.

I am only an amature with plenty to learn. However, when I get to the point that I am consistant with my photography, I will only look down to those who are vertically challenged. I will and do, brush off those that are lazy, arrogant, do not take responsibility and are unwilling to listen...quietly.

[EDIT] There have several reference to brand snobs. Those abound in multitude, but I don't think that's where the OP was heading. Nikon was my choice, yours is yours. Care to out for a shoot? Just my 2¢. [/EDIT]

Last edited:
In my off-line life, I have been confronted with the instant clamming-up (and/or becoming arrogant) of other photographers before. Both the persons I am thinking of are professionals, pay their monthly bills out of their photography business alone, and may use cameras classes better than mine. And someone like me is all unlikely to put up any kind of THREAT to them!

However, the one - who I once asked if I could assist him on weddings just so I can see how things work - preferred not to like me instantly and to only say hallo to me with a painful look in his eyes when we meet. And the other, a sports photographer for a newspaper, felt the instant need to explain to me that without turfing out thousands of Euro on equipment first, one would not be able to work as a pro, ever.

Shrug!

:hug:: It's ok...

But what you’re saying is kinda what I mean. They found their way, now you find yours. Why not abuse a new comer and use them to your delight. I just don’t' understand the logic. Even if your only carrying equipment, help. :lol:

Yeah, I think by reading this thread that this must be fairly common in the western world. It's not here thankfully. So what do you get out of being snobbish to them? I mean, how do you feel when you find out the guy you just dissed or whatever has an uncle that owns Skateboarder magazine and might have been able to get you a little fame and fun?

I always think it's better to be cool to everyone and network - work together and scratch each other's back. Thankfully I live in a country where that's the prevailing attitude. It makes for a very happy, healthy, enabled, and profitable atmosphere.

BTW, I wasn't trying to point the finger or anything. Just wondering out loud and noticing a few things.

Cool pics BTW! (Don't let it go to your head tho :D)

Those shots were just examples! Hahaha, as much as I'd love to take credit for the second one, it's not mine.

I'm not mean to anyone about it, I just get tired of having anyone else I'm out with asking about where my 15 is, or being told I need to hurry up and get a 30 for my Hassy. A lot of them are just really stubborn about breaking loose from the super tight comps, I'm patient about it, but it would wear thin on anyone's nerves.

I'm a nice snob I guess?

Maybe some of those where you think their photography is not special, maybe it is just not your taste? Maybe they try to express things you do not like or you do not care about. So again ask yourself, what is their goal? Did they achieve it? That way you might get a bit more objective about their work and see that it is special in the end, even though you might not like it, or even think it is boring.

Alex Alex Alex.... Maybe your right. Maybe it is taste. But honestly ... have you seen images that just made you think how did this person make it to where they are today? Honestly... please be honest poeple.

It's OK to be bad when you start out. Just not too bad.

Alex Alex Alex.... Maybe your right. Maybe it is taste. But honestly ... have you seen images that just made you think how did this person make it to where they are today? Honestly... please be honest poeple.

Well, did you read on? ;)

But you are also right, that today it is also about being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right people. Some at least locally famous photographers are simply pushed by their influential friends/supporters. Unfortunately some people with money to support arts, do not know a damn thing about arts and simply have no eye for anything.

This more or less was aiming in exactly the same direction as you! :)

Of course there are people where I wonder how they got the job, and why they got not torn into pieces after delivering the results. And in galleries also I wonder sometimes, why this particular image. Some I would blame on my taste, but some on lack in talent or effort with the one who produced the images. sure.

Jedo, do you shoot a digital camera?

The best answer to the OP's question was in the very first response, by skieur. He nails it with this observation- "Why should dedicated pros and enthusiasts tolerate what often amounts to laziness, lack of effort to learn, and arrogant stupidity by a growing number of newbies that express those traits?skieur"

He pretty much summed it up as to why a lot of seasoned photographers have a real, personal disdain for newbies.

My question is have you tried viewing it from a newbies perspective at all, that we are not lazy. We've joined a photography community to learn more. Instead of just putting our camera down because we don’t know what to do. Many people buy cameras and there collecting dust at this very moment. I understand that literature also helps but this setting is also another vehicle of educating ourselves. I absorb what I read and see. The redundancy is murder on your eyes I understand but every one crawls before they walk.

My question is have you tried viewing it from a newbies perspective at all, that we are not lazy. We've joined a photography community to learn more. Instead of just putting our camera down because we don’t know what to do. Many people buy cameras and there collecting dust at this very moment. I understand that literature also helps but this setting is also another vehicle of educating ourselves. I absorb what I read and see. The redundancy is murder on your eyes I understand but every one crawls before they walk.

I don't think you understand. How does joining a "community" constitute work?

There's not very much good information here anyway. But you hadn't noticed that. That's why you stuck around.

Go read a book. Why do you need someone riding you to figure out why your photo doesn't look the way it should? Grow a pair already. Eyes, I mean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back