Broken 70-200mm F2.8 IS

I meant like can you get the front piece of glass that is scratched on the second link I posted, for under $30. I mean JUST the front piece of glass. How much does that glass cost?

From some quick googling, expect to pay somewhere between $200 and $600 to get the front element replaced.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/638467/0
See post numbers 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8.

Edit - Oops, the $600 was for IS replacement. Still, it ain't gonna be cheap. L lenses are expensive, the maintenance & repairs for them are going to be expensive too.

Last edited:
A CLA of a prime lens which is a more simple design (less elements/parts), involves no repairs, no replacement of parts, and mostly consists of labor and shipping is around $200.

OK, Looks like it will be atleast $200 without shipping. . So that wouldn't be worth it unless it is a really cheap lens, looks like I will have to invest a little more. There was a sigma 70-200m F2.8 on craigslist for $500, I thought it looked like a good deal, went back the next day to send them an email and the posting was gone. I also missed out on a cannon 70-200mm F2.8 for $700. looks like I have bad luck. I'll keep looking. What's a decent price to pay for a mid condition canon 2.8?

Last edited:
I also missed out on a cannon 70-200mm F2.8 for 4700.

If you can afford this, why are you even considering lenses that come in multiple pieces?

Oops, I think you meant 470... ($4700 is way too high.)

The 70-200 f/4L is $600, new. Do you really need IS and that extra stop?

If you can afford this, why are you even considering lenses that come in multiple pieces?

Oops, I think you meant 470... ($4700 is way too high.)

The 70-200 f/4L is $600, new. Do you really need IS and that extra stop?

Well I couuuuld do without the 2.8 and settle for 4 but it would make things alot easier. I am doing yearbook for my school and evening soccer games, possible football games at night and basketball and other indoor sports would be a challenge without an external flash or 2.8 right? I don't need IS.

You don't have bad luck, just unreasonable expectations. L lenses used go from 80% of original value for a well used one up to 90% for lightly used ones. If you find a 70-200 2.8 for $900 in good condition I would consider yourself very lucky. For highschool newspapers and yearbook i think the sigma will be more then adequate quality and it will give you that extra stop for night shoots. Good luck,

Nick

I think we're all oversimplifying here because it seems logically obvious to us that you shouldn't do this. However, let's think about it a bit more deeply.
  1. It's obviously badly broken, so odds are quite good that it's going to be a "not so easy fix".
  2. How did it break? As a result of however it broke, what is broken beyond what you can see?
  3. Optics are incredibly sensitive... there's a good reason why this stuff is so expensive... consider the implications of the repair being even the slightest bit off... what will be the result?
I could go on, but I think the point here is that you are likely to get way more than you bargained for ... and not in a good way.

People are generally quite nervous about buying used lenses that don't look like they were used as baseball bats, you can imagine how they're going to respond to this. There is a very high chance of you losing your money, your time, and a good bit of your sanity if you go down this road.

This is a road best left untravelled.

Who says? Usayit no I don't say it U-say-it. I can afford this I can afford a 2.8 IS but I don't want to spend that much, I only want to spend as much as I have too.

People who can afford this would get it used or new in working condition... not go overboard and try to bring back the dead.

"I am doing yearbook for my school and evening soccer games"...
Harsh truth.... you need to figure out your priorities.

It is worth bidding on if you need a replacement hood or tripod collar.

Ya, I quickly saw that, a lens with that much damage is not worth it. Now I am looking for decent quality lenses, or possibly a new sigma.

My favorite bit:

Good thing it wasn't hit by the puck. Who knows what would have happened then...

Haha, growing up in Canada, I can tell you that those hockey balls can really hurt, especially when frozen while playing in sub-freezing temperatures! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back