Calling Bird ID Expert.

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So last weekend (Sunday) I'm out for my walk and crossing the parking lot of the Electrical Workers Union which on Sunday is empty of all cars and activity. Out of the corner of my eye I see this large bird fly off the roof and head in my direction. It stopped to perch for a minute on a lamppost right above me and I grabbed a quick shot to show my wife. I didn't have any kind of a long lens and so I wasn't remotely close enough, but I figured the photo would let me show it was some kind of hawk. An unusual sight given the location.

So now that I've processed the photo I'm hoping I got enough detail that one of you birders can ID this critter? Here it is zoomed in as best I can do given my limited equipment.

$hawk.jpg

The area is semi-industrial on the edge of a residential neighborhood. Here's the location (you can see the shadow of the lamppost on the parking lot): 38.613836,-90.285436 - Google Maps

Joe

I'm not 100%, but I thiiinnnk that's a Mottled Ruddy Kumquat Warbler..

So last weekend (Sunday) I'm out for my walk and crossing the parking lot of the Electrical Workers Union which on Sunday is empty of all cars and activity. Out of the corner of my eye I see this large bird fly off the roof and head in my direction. It stopped to perch for a minute on a lamppost right above me and I grabbed a quick shot to show my wife. I didn't have any kind of a long lens and so I wasn't remotely close enough, but I figured the photo would let me show it was some kind of hawk. An unusual sight given the location.

So now that I've processed the photo I'm hoping I got enough detail that one of you birders can ID this critter? Here it is zoomed in as best I can do given my limited equipment.

View attachment 27269

The area is semi-industrial on the edge of a residential neighborhood. Here's the location (you can see the shadow of the lamppost on the parking lot): 38.613836,-90.285436 - Google Maps

Joe

My guess would be a Juvenile Red Tailed Hawk
Actually I think it's a Cooper's Hawk (Chicken Hawk). Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Red Tailed Hawks have dark eyes? Or maybe they darken as they age.

This is a Cooper's Hawk:

2010-01-03-10.jpg

And the markings more closely resemble his photo.

Hmm but the original photo hasn't got any black bars down its chest and neck - its just pure white. So it must be another juvenile if its a coopers hawk.

*can't be much more help though all my bird books are UK based

Hmm but the original photo hasn't got any black bars down its chest and neck - its just pure white. So it must be another juvenile if its a coopers hawk.

*can't be much more help though all my bird books are UK based
Agreed, but look at the eyes. This is a Red Tailed Hawk:

2010-02-07-04.jpg

Notice how dark the eyes are. I'm not certain it's a Coopers Hawk either, but I'm not sure it's a Red Tailed Hawk. Again I freely admit that it may be a juvenile, I'm just not that sure.

nope...THIS is a chicken hawk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would agree with EricD - it is most likely a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. Juvenile Cooper's Hawks have a light chest with brown streaks in it, rather than a larger patch of white with a streaked belly band, which seems to be the patttern on a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. It would really help if the OP has any pictures of this bird in flight, or at least one showing the tail feathers. The eyes for the juveniles of both species are yellow and they do change as they mature. Scott, I think what you have shown is a mature Red-tailed Hawk. We also have to remember that there are sub-species of the red-tailed across the US and parts of Canada with considerable colour variation. Like so many raptors, they are best identified in flight. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

WesternGuy

Young red-tailed hawks do have yellow eyes, they turn dark with age. It could be a cooper's or a Red-tailed.
Too bad the tail isn't visible, that would help.

Works for me guys. I'm sure no bird expert, I just love to photograph them. Most of the time afterwards I have to try and figure out what some of them are as well ;)

I didn't realize that both species had light-colored eyes when they were young that darken with age, that for that information. Guess that makes the Coopers Hawk I photographed a juvenile as well.

I guess the consensus, and the unarguable answer to the original question, is: It's a HAWK!

Interesting! I was unaware that with age their eyes darkened.
My vote would have been the red tail. I am certainly not a expert though just a great guesser. ;)

It is an osprey. Four of them spent last spring on my neighbour's dock tower. They like high places.

skieur

Juvenile Red tail hawk. The lack of coloration on the breast is a good sign. It is too big for a juvi cooper's....
And yes they have yellowish eyes...

Hawk - 2 by krisinct, on Flickr

Hawk -1 by krisinct, on Flickr

Juvenile Red tail hawk. The lack of coloration on the breast is a good sign. It is too big for a juvi cooper's....
And yes they have yellowish eyes...
Yep, you convinced me. The markings on the chest are definitely closer to the OP's shot.

Most reactions

Back