Does the Camera Model really matter?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Olivia Green, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Olivia Green

Olivia Green TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not getting into professional photography but still feel something for it. Got a Nikon D3200 with basic 18-55 kit lens. Just wanted to know if its perfect for Landscape shots or if I need to upgrade the lenses. As I said, not into professional photography but just one of the hobbies. Being a traveler a great portfolio of photos is a plus.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jeff15

Jeff15 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The camera is only as good as the photographer, that said, the better the camera the easier it makes things.

• Like Like x 3
  3. espresso2x

espresso2x No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's possible to make good landscape with that camera/lens. Invest some time in learning to use raw development software that has comprehensive adjustment tools like distortion correction, perspective correction, rotation etc; fringing/CA removal. RawTherapee Blog

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jeff15

Jeff15 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes get yourself decent photo software but first get to know your camera.

5. Olivia Green

Olivia Green TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Editing and Processing is something which will be done after the shot has been taken. Just wanted to know if the the Camera and kit lens are strong enough for decent landscape images, which by your answer seems they are.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Olivia Green

Olivia Green TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have spent a lot of days learning the ins and out and practicing already with the rule of thirds. Will focus more on learning the settings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I personally have found photography to be much more enjoyable with better gear. I have found the lenses and 100% coverage viewfinder to be very beneficial to me. I have found the Fujifilm lenses to be much better than the Nikon ones and less time in front of a computer, editing. I am not saying Fuji is better but my setup is way, way better than what I was using when I was shooting an entry level D3300. If you don't want to spend a lot of time in front of a PC, then spending the money on a Fujifilm XT2 or Nikon D800 series with FX glass will serve you well and cut down on the frustration. Of course, getting the basics down on framing, composition, and the exposure triangle will elevate your photography no matter what hardware your using. So get to know your D3200 / kit and maximize it's potential. If you decide it's something you want to continue doing, then upgrade your hardware.
    It's not all about the hardware but more so, the 10" behind the viewfinder. Get good with what you got, so when you get better hardware, you will find it much more enjoyable. That has been my experience. For me, if I have to spend more than 5 minutes editing an image in software, than I rushed to take the image or I wasn't skilled enough to compensate for that moment's notice. I have put many hours in over the last year and a half, getting the image right in camera. It's been a strict goal of mine to do so, so much so, that I even bought a film camera (s) to drive the process into my brain so it becomes second nature. I'm going on vacation at the end of the week and my mentor agrees, bring two lenses, a wide (23mm), and a telephoto (80mm). All I am going to work on is framing and just have fun doing it. I will also bring a film camera with a 35mm and a 16mm fish eye. I am also going to do some work on a tripod. Slow, methodical, careful shooting, both hand held and stabilized.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Echoing the comments above as to the importance of the photographer behind the camera. A skilled artist can turn out beautiful work regardless of the equipment. Look up some of the great artists using nothing but a pin hole camera. The other thing is that knowing more about the basics - exposure, composition, and lighting, will also allow you to make a more informed decision on your equipment choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    This is key for landscape images. Better cameras don’t really take better photos; they just let you change settings more easily and have features that make them easier to use.

What makes a good landscape image is taking your time, using a tripod, and being very deliberate with every decision you make about taking the photo. As you gain experience this process will become second nature.

My rule is that I refuse to shoot landscapes without a tripod. If a landscape photo isn’t worth setting up a tripod for then it isn’t worth taking at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Decent, yes. I will recommend that you don't try to push the envelope. Make your important shots using a tripod, and a moderate aperture (remember to turn off the VR). I should think somewhere between f/8 and f/16 should get very good photographs. Develop your hand-holding technique so you can get good photographs even when you don't have your tripod along. Invest in a lightweight travel-type tripod and try to always have it handy. A good tripod and a cable release should be your natural mode.

The remainder is your artistic vision. Use the light to your advantage. Think "near and far", although they don't have to be in the same frame. Use natural frames within the frame. Try to capture scenes that nobody has expected.

11. espresso2x

espresso2x No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not about having better kit, it's about knowing why you have better kit.
    You come to know this by having worse kit, rather than coming to be being told this by having worse kit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

^this. You don’t need to upgrade until you find the limits of your current kit.

• Agree Agree x 3