Help me to choose a camera

tiktak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all :)
I am new here, and I need your advice to choose a camera.

Which is the best camera for an beginner ?

Canon EOS 1300D (with 18-55 III + 75-300) or Nikon D3300 (with AF-P 18-55 VR)

or propose yours =)

thanks in advance

I can estimate your budget based on your proposals but what do you intend to shoot? Sports, portraits, landscapes, family events, Astro-photography, wildlife, street photography, macro photography, all of the above, none of the above?

Different cameras have different strengths. If the general question is canon vs nikon then my answer is typically: choose either and then stick with it. Each company has a proprietary lens mount so if you switch companies, your existing lenses won't work on the new camera. Neither company makes a generally superior product to the other IMO, though they tend to alternate places at the top of the heap on an ongoing basis.

Sure you don't want mirrorless?

Last edited:
I can estimate your budget based on your proposals but what do you intend to shoot? Sports, portraits, landscapes, family events, Astro-photography, wildlife, street photography, macro photography, all of the above, none of the above?

Different cameras have different strengths. If the general question is canon vs nikon then my answer is typically: choose either and then stick with it. Each company has a proprietary lens mount so if you switch companies, your existing lenses won't work on the new camera. Neither company makes a generally superior product to the other IMO, though they tend to alternate places at the top of the heap on an ongoing basis.

Sure you don't want mirrorless?

thanks for your reply Peeb.

As I said I am begginer and I want to try to shot all of the above because I like photography and it's just hobby.
No, I like both brands, actually I don't have any lens, the lens I mentioned above it's offered with the camera..

and about mirrorless I don't know much, have you an idea for 400-450 euro ?

For lower priced entry level cameras. I think at the moment Nikon puts out the best performance for the money. But, there are difference in the cameras themselves like button positions and controls. Also the feel of the camera itself. You can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Your buying into a system if you plan to increase your photo gear.

As for your 2 choices, I would say the D3300 is the better performing camera. This is purely color reproduction, dynamic range, and ISO performance. I am familiar with the D3300 as well as it's one of my cameras. I am not familiar with the 1300D. The D3300 is a basic camera and quite a few of its more advanced features must be accessed by menu functions. Not sure of the Canon. It may have more buttons and controls. But for me sensor performance is the key. And from reviews and testing reports the D3300 wins out (current newest version is the D3400).

Now I am biased towards Nikon as I have used them for 30+ years. I did have a Canon system for about 3 years (Canon 20D and 4 lenses). But could not afford to continually upgrade 2 different systems.

I'd go for the Nikon D3300. It's pretty good performer, with a very nice sensor in it, and it is affordable. Has good battery life.

Olympus EM10 II for beginner. Lightweight and still easy to use.
Lightweight is my mantra these days.

the D3300 outperforms the canon by quite a bit IMO. Canons more premium bodies at the mid and top end are better but Nikon have the edge by quite a margin at the entry level IMO.

I'd go for the Nikon D3300. It's pretty good performer, with a very nice sensor in it, and it is affordable. Has good battery life.
Absolutely the D3300, the Canon D1300 is using Canon's very old 18MP sensor which is about 7 years old and it performance is inferior to the one in the Nikon D3300.
The Nikon has better low light performance, better dynamic range, will give you sharper image with the right lenses and has more resolution.

Thank you all for taking the time to share all of that great information with me. Finally I chose D3300 =)

Thank you all for taking the time to share all of that great information with me. Finally I chose D3300 =)

Congrats on the new camera.
Thanks my friend

Not sure if you bought it new or used. If it's a used camera. Go to your Menu - Shooting Menu - choose Reset Shooting Menu. Then go to Set Up Menu - chose Reset Setup Options. It will put the camera in the same condition as a new one would come. Removes any settings and information previous owners might have selected on it.

Not sure if you bought it new or used. If it's a used camera. Go to your Menu - Shooting Menu - choose Reset Shooting Menu. Then go to Set Up Menu - chose Reset Setup Options. It will put the camera in the same condition as a new one would come. Removes any settings and information previous owners might have selected on it.

thank you for the info =) i buyed new one

nice! enjoy it!
thanks my friend

Most reactions

New Topics

Back