In reguards to my last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :greendev:

You wenches.. COOL IT! Trying to sleep over here... :grumpy:

:eek:ldman:

Back at'cha!

mooning.gif

So I'm guessing many are for the banning of JC Penny, Kohls and Target ads that have preteens modeling preteen swim wear?

Simply asserting loudly that YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW ANYONE COULD FEEL THIS WAY IT IS RIDICULOUS isn't going to make anyone stop feeling that way.

This is a thing, and it's got to be dealt with. It doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense to you. The other guy's religion, the other guy's political party, the other guy's ideas about sexuality, they're all incomprehensible to us, but that incomprehensibility does not:

1) make the other guy automatically wrong or stupid
2) make me automatically right or clever
3) make the fact that this disagreement exists go away
4) make it unnecessary to compromise and deal with the fact that not everyone in the world is a carbon copy of ourselves

There's stuff you gotta deal with out there that doesn't make any sense to you. Rather than yelling about it and hinting that the other people are stupid, wrong, or pedophiles, I suggest that you:

1) take your Internet Hat Of Fury off
2) find your I Am Not A Provincial Narrow-Minded Yokel pants
3) put those pants on, after first removing any pants or shorts you may currently be wearing

Looks like I had a post deleted???? May I ask why? I was trying to make a point....

I am pretty sure that the database behind TPF is a bit flaky. I have had posts vanish for which there was non reason on earth I could see to delete them, and I certainly wasn't given any sort of talking to by anyone. So, I assume they vanished due to Technical Issues not because I am a wild-eyed anarchist.

My question was legitimate - no troll here! I'm curious, if people have such an issue with an amateur model's photos being displayed in a photography forum, how do they feel about those that go on to national/international campaigns? Should it not be allowed?

I don't care about what the morals of others are, whether or not I'd consider it ridiculous for myself to feel that way. It's just interesting that, on an ART forum, people are so against something that has provided inspiration to artists for years: the human body. At birth, 10 years old, 20, 50 and even death - the human body is an amazing thing.

I think opinions vary on the catalog pictures, but as a general rule they are seen as "Ok" (else the stores would catch a bunch of flak from the offended people, and change their ways).

My sense is that there's some pretty serious effort made to de-sexualize kids in catalogs. Kid's swimwear is frequently shown on kids in a beach setting with a lot of emphasis on "look at all the fun we are having with our brightly colored ball!" and so forth. Makeup is present, obviously, but tries to avoid hitting the sexuality tropes (no heavy eye makeup, no bright red lips, etc). If I had to guess, there's conscious effort made in these shoots and in the editing afterwards to avoid any risky territory, to avoid a backlash. That's just speculation, but if *I* were making a catalog of kids clothes for Kohl, I would make it someone's job to watch out for just that and to err on the conservative side.

Nobody needs a bunch of excited people calling your 800 number to yell about the catalog, after all. Except, I guess, A&F? They seem to kind of dig it.

ANYWAYS. Whatever the reasons, the original picture apparently hit some buttons. Those buttons aren't gonna unpress themselves, and arguing about it ain't gonna unpress them. It's an emotional response, one that's ingrained in our society.

My question was legitimate - no troll here! I'm curious, if people have such an issue with an amateur model's photos being displayed in a photography forum, how do they feel about those that go on to national/international campaigns? Should it not be allowed?

I don't care about what the morals of others are, whether or not I'd consider it ridiculous for myself to feel that way. It's just interesting that, on an ART forum, people are so against something that has provided inspiration to artists for years: the human body. At birth, 10 years old, 20, 50 and even death - the human body is an amazing thing.
I am just going to shut my mouth before I really get kicked off the forum, but just curious are you volunteering your daughter to be used for his next model exactly the way it was done in his original image?

For the sake of art?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back