lord of the ring discuss?

I really do like the movies...I own all three extended editions. But I just can't stay awake when I watch them...seen them too many times I guess.

Sometimes the wife & I will just skip to the parts we like, watch them and move on.

Lord of the ring...or lord of the rings? :mrgreen:

I was made to read the hobbit in first school, that put a dampner on the whole experience from there on in.

I NEVER read the books although i owned all of them and MEANT to read them - i just couldnt get into them. Instead, i watched the films.

I'm not kidding but it took me 6 times to watch LOTR's ALL the way through coz it bored the hell out of me each time! the second one was probably the best of the 3 and i met a few cast members...this still didn't really make me appreciate it any further.

I like the films but they are boring at the same time.

I wont be watching them again!

the battle scenes are great

The Hobbit was a good book. LOTR was probably a bad idea from how much I've read...(couldn't stay awake). The movies were pretty boring, except the battle sequence in 2...didn't watch 3.

All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi."

"There's only one trilogy, ****ing morons"

Sorry...but he's right when Randall says it...
Star wars is so much better, and is the only real trilogy

Count me in the fantasy book nerd club. I've read them all and loved the movies. Gotta agree that there's only one 'real' trilogy though..

i like my sci-fi - star wars is a favourite from childhood and there IS no beating the original trilogy - but LOTR is a different genre, don't know how you can compare :D

i like my sci-fi - star wars is a favourite from childhood and there IS no beating the original trilogy - but LOTR is a different genre, don't know how you can compare :D

LOL LOTR trilogywas written long before SW ;) But your right that you cant compare the two.

I dont know whats wrong with you people. Considering the time they were written the books are absolute genius to anyone who is willing to lend some imagination to them.

Peter Jackson did an outstanding job in translating the books into film... if you found them boring then maybe you should just avoid any films that are that length, as it isnt the content that is boring (and if you thought it is then you shouldn't see the films in the first place) and certainly not the duration between the 'battle scenes'.

Having a huge interest in the visual arts, i was in awe of the beauty of every frame of those films and am not sure why anyone else with the same interest wouldnt think the same. Sure they can be boring if you allow yourself to fall asleep and then have to rewatch the same parts over again.

But each to thier own of course... and the above is a good example of why i try not to talk about film on this board, because im such a film buff and i never believe anyone else's opinions are good enough. :lol:

LOL LOTR trilogywas written long before SW ;) But your right that you cant compare the two.

yes, i do know that ;) i was speaking figuratively in term of the star wars trilogy of movies referring to bhop and sideburns posts :)

I dont know whats wrong with you people. Considering the time they were written the books are absolute genius to anyone who is willing to lend some imagination to them.

Peter Jackson did an outstanding job in translating the books into film... if you found them boring then maybe you should just avoid any films that are that length, as it isnt the content that is boring (and if you thought it is then you shouldn't see the films in the first place) and certainly not the duration between the 'battle scenes'.

Having a huge interest in the visual arts, i was in awe of the beauty of every frame of those films and am not sure why anyone else with the same interest wouldnt think the same. Sure they can be boring if you allow yourself to fall asleep and then have to rewatch the same parts over again.

But each to thier own of course... and the above is a good example of why i try not to talk about film on this board, because im such a film buff and i never believe anyone else's opinions are good enough. :lol:

Well said :mrgreen:

All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi."

"There's only one trilogy, ****ing morons"

Since God created man, and man created the Transformers, the Transformers are like a gift from God, Randal!

nicely said.:thumbup:

i might specify my detailed opinion once i find some time.

Anyway, Arch, you know that one of the two leading artists of the trilogy, Alan Lee, lives at the edge of dartmoor, not that far away from you ;)

Actually, a friend of mine knows him quite well, he also got an original painting from him. very nice.

Wow, kind of surprised at how many people are dissin' LOTR, but then chacun son gout I suppose.

Personally I think both the books (if you skip all the singing parts) are fab [don't read'em on a beach in Fiji though, impossible to concentrate]. Tolkien took a subtle approach to the line between good and evil, and how different people interact. Interesting that the great Narnia series was created in same period, and had similar themes.

Huge fan of the movies too, guess Star Wars prepped me for sitting all day watching a trilogy. Visually LOTR is spectacular, and it made a huge star of New Zealand as a country. And Archangel is right, Jackson did a wicked job of translating the text onto the screen. Maybe it helps if you're a movie geek, in which case the French "Three Colours" trilogy would be a favorite too.

Though if I had to pick, Star Wars all the way... nothing beats Han Solo's
smart alecky attitude.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back