Nature and wildlife photography gear, what do you have or want?

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought it would be neat to see what you nature and wildlife photographers are using.

But not the lenses and cameras, instead let's hear about, tripods/monopods, straps, bags/packs, coats, boots, hats, tents, rain slickers, camo, wildlife calls, GPS/maps, flashlights/lanterns, water bottles, or whatever else! Do you use anything like these items? And if so, what has worked the best for you?

I'm pretty happy with the equipment, clothing, etc, that I have. What I need is someone to carry it all and the physical abilities of 20 years ago, so I can get to the places where the critters are.

I want a M-3.6 Mongoose Gimbal Action Head and a InduroGIT304L Grand Series 3 Stealth Carbon Fiber Tripod

I'm pretty happy with the equipment, clothing, etc, that I have. What I need is someone to carry it all and the physical abilities of 20 years ago, so I can get to the places where the critters are.

You just need a packdog! :) http://pixdaus.com/files/items/pics/9/98/297998_76627aeaa326300d3f383cb04a36f3b5_large.jpg

I want a M-3.6 Mongoose Gimbal Action Head and a InduroGIT304L Grand Series 3 Stealth Carbon Fiber Tripod

I see why you want both of those, they really look great!:)

When I know I am going to get into water and mud, I wear my work boots. Which are Carolina #1922 Logger boots, their over 1 1/2 years old and are still waterproof as long as I keep them oil! ;)
I also always take my Bogen 3211 tripod, with custom harness. DIY tripod harness. (Lots of photos) | Photography Forum

Let's see. I do own a tripod, but I never use it except for running FoCal and occasionally backyard birds. Ravelli-APGL4 Pistol Grip. A big ol $60 and I've had it for 3 years now. Normally just leave it out back in the rain and snow. My pride and joy is the Rainbowimaging Quick Release Dual Camera strap that costs $12 and about 84 cents for a bolt and lock washer that I bolt to the tripod mount on the lens. Yes I carry my 500 F4 on a $12 strap every day. Not a big fan of fancy accessories..

Most of my Camo is Under Armour, that I have found either at Marshalls or the UA outlet about 5 miles from my house. Although my winter Jacket is a Field and Stream Max-5 from Dick's. I did splurge and got a pair of 11" Irish Setter Gunflint boots for $60 from Sierra Trading post a few weeks ago, Waterproof and 1000 Grams of Thinsulate. I also found a great pair of Camo Neoprene Gloves on Sierra Trading post, I think they are glacier bristol bay.

I don't really keep any of my gear in bags either. My Camera rides shotgun, ready to go.

I sorted some kit out for going out and about earlier this year. I'm pretty confident in in now having spent a good few days out in awful rainy weather that we get here in Scotland.

I've a lowerpro 400AW which has a built in rain cover which comes in handy. But inside that I've got 4 1ltr dry bags, two of which are used to keep my lenses dry and one for memory cards, the last for my remote shutter releases, cables, spare batteries and other electrical stuff. I've got a big 30ltr dry bag that fits in my main compartment to cover my camera and tamzooka. I've also got two lenscoat rain sleeves (one medium and one large) so that I can use my camera in the rain. so even in the wettest weather or if I'm by the coast and there's a lot of spray my gear is protected and dry.

Strapwise I have a Blackrapid RS7 which I attach to a couple of paracord loops tied to the carrying point on my camera body. My tripod is a velbon sherpa, which is either strapped to my pack or carried if I'm using the rain cover.

My boots are Meindl Toronto GTXs, lightweight Berghaus waterproof trousers with a zip vent down each leg, lightweight tresspass gators, Daiwa wilderness fleece and a Greys GRX wading jacket. I aslo take a camo poncho for emergencies as well as a small survival box with kindling, a fire steel and a wire saw. My Petzl myo XP headlamp doubles up as my fishing headlamp too.

If the weather is really rough I have a Sundridge flotation suit which is insulated and waterproof and windproof and doubles up as a life preserver if one should find themselves in the water.

as far as cloths go i just wear what ever pants i have on, usually jeans or dark blue cargo pants my work gave me. for shits or jackets i try to wear black, dark blue or a greens that blend in with nature colors. i really want to get some woodland type camo pants probably the mossy oak tree stand or mossy oak break up design and i think having. a long sleeve camo underarmour heat gear shirt is on my list of things to get, i could probably wear that in the summer. they seem to let lots of air thew so you wont get as hot like you would in a regular long sleeve t shirt. even wearing blacks and blues and what not as long as i am pretty still and i move nice and slow most birds do not seem to be that worried about me being there. some do but allot of them will let me get pretty close. some birds will even land right next to me if i am standing really still for a while so camo is probably not needed to get good bird photos but it would probably help. i usually go to places where the birds are used to seeing people around too so that probably helps allot.

i have a black rapids sport strap that i attach to the bottom of the lens's tripod mount my lens has 3 holes on the bottom to mount it to the tripod so i use one for the strap and one for the monopod. i use the strap just to make sure i do not drop the camera,

i just started using a sirui P324 monopod, its great when carrying a heavy lens around. you can sling it over your shoulders to carry it when walking which seems to take some stress off of carrying a heavy lens and you can just set the monopod on the ground when standing still so your to get a nice break from carrying the weight of a heavy lens around.. i have only been using the monopod for a few days.. the first day out with it it was pretty awkward since i am used to hand holding ( not anywhere near as akward as a tripod) it slowed me down a bit and i missed a few good shots at first but after 30 min or so i got used to it and now i am quite happy to have it. for me i only have to extend 2 sections of this and the camera is right at perfect eye level so its easy and quick to slide the legs back in when i want to walk around and easy and quick to extend the leg when i want to use it. i wold hate to have one of those 6 section ones, that wold be a royal pain IMO. if you plan to crouch down and get the cameras really low to the ground or crawl around on your belly you probably wont want a monopod.

i have a lower pro runner 300 aw back pack with a rain cover. if it might rain that goes with me, if not it stays in the car. my birding lens with the camera body attached just fit in the back pack. i do not keep anything else in the back pack so i do not have to carry any extra weight around.. the only reason i have the back pack is for the rain cover and a padded case to store the lens in at home.

A couple of pounders when its warm and a flask when it's cold.

I'd take an SURV--Sports Utility Recreational Vehicle. Drive it to whatever spot I want, sleep in it, cook/eat in it, step outside and instantly be in easy walking distance of birds and nature. Shoot all day, get a good night's sleep, then drive on to the next place. Or stay a week, or a month. All depends on how the shooting is going! (or what the beach is like...)

I'd take an SURV--Sports Utility Recreational Vehicle. Drive it to whatever spot I want, sleep in it, cook/eat in it, step outside and instantly be in easy walking distance of birds and nature. Shoot all day, get a good night's sleep, then drive on to the next place. Or stay a week, or a month. All depends on how the shooting is going! (or what the beach is like...)
If I was a 1%er, I would buy you this with the truck of choice to pull it.

Mossy Oak head to toe ,including snake boots . also carry a thermocell . A "Bug-Out bag " (Camo backpack) Filled with everything needed to stay in the woods for however long needed .

as far as cloths go i just wear what ever pants i have on, usually jeans or dark blue cargo pants my work gave me. for shits or jackets i try to wear black, dark blue or a greens that blend in with nature colors. i really want to get some woodland type camo pants probably the mossy oak tree stand or mossy oak break up design and i think having. a long sleeve camo underarmour heat gear shirt is on my list of things to get, i could probably wear that in the summer. they seem to let lots of air thew so you wont get as hot like you would in a regular long sleeve t shirt. even wearing blacks and blues and what not as long as i am pretty still and i move nice and slow most birds do not seem to be that worried about me being there. some do but allot of them will let me get pretty close. some birds will even land right next to me if i am standing really still for a while so camo is probably not needed to get good bird photos but it would probably help. i usually go to places where the birds are used to seeing people around too so that probably helps allot.
You are missing the real point of wearing Camo. The birds still see you, but it is easier to hide from people so they don't ask you if you can see the moon with your big ol Sigma Sport. BTW, you should get a lens coat for that puppy if you don't have one already...

You are missing the real point of wearing Camo. The birds still see you, but it is easier to hide from people so they don't ask you if you can see the moon with your big ol Sigma Sport. BTW, you should get a lens coat for that puppy if you don't have one already...

what brand of lens coat do you recommend and what is a good place to get it online, i do not know much abut them. maybe ill pick one up in the near future.

the annoying people not noticing you would be nice. i always have people asking how much does that camera cost or stop just to strike up a conversation about the lens and there not even into photography so it would be very nice in those regards. when wearing camo i feel that some animals are less likely to realize that your there, which could lead to getting a shot or two you normally would not have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back