Need Help!

Stefan1919

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to start photography and I want to buy a camera. Since I have a small budget, I can only buy a used DSLR. I found two Nikon D5300 in which I'm interested, but one comes with 18-105 mm lens and other with 40 mm micro lens. Can you tell me which one should i consider buying and what are the differences between those two lenses. Both cameras have less than 15k snaps. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. This is in the wrong section. So, it may get moved. Of your two choices you list. I would chose the camera that comes with the 18-105 lens.

It depends on what you're shooting.

But of the 2 lenses, I would go for 18-105. A zoom lens is always ideal for beginners to cover a variety of different style in photography. You can then buy a more specialized lens when you have decided what you want to shoot.

The 18-105 is very good all around kit lens. I would go with that instead of limiting yourself to one focal length.

You didn't ask but...If you're just starting out, I highly recommend Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" as a great introduction to the exposure triangle. Also find a good guide book to complement your user's manual. For Nikon 5XXX series, I found the "From Snapshots to Great Shots" camera specific books very helpful.

Had both these lenses
40mm is a macro lens, good lens but its a specialty lens for macro, you can use it for other stuff of course but for general use there is no competition here, get the one with the 18-105mm

Can I recommend the Nikon D5300 (because that's the one I have with 18-105 lens) and I'm very happy with it :)

Most reactions

Back