SB-910, Nikon D750 + Studio Slaves - HELP!

Eagles Beachwear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to use my SB-910, Nikon D750 & two studio lights on slave mode. I want just the studio lights to flash and not the SB-910. I have tried a couple different settings and can't seem to get the right combo! So I kind of just want the SB-910 to be the commander. Thanks

I think it has to flash to signal the strobes. Turn the power down to just where it no longer triggers the slaves, then adjust it a bit upwards so it will once again trigger the slaves. Now you've got it at the lowest power that it will still trigger the slaves. If you can place a reflector between the SB-910 and your subject, and still trigger the slaves, that is about the best I can come up with. Try an experiment to see if you can still trigger the slaves when you turn the flash head up or back.

Can you afford to buy a set of RF transceivers? Then you trigger the strobes with your triggers, not the Speedlight.

Or you can obtain a long PC cord to trigger just one strobe which will trigger the other one.

Then you're going to need different triggers. The SB910 can only act as a "Commander" for Nikon speedlights which have the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS) incorporated into them. This is not a feature found on studio lights.

Thanks guys, How do I turn the flash down to its lowest power? I am still confused on what settings everything should be set at too... I can't seem to find an adaptor in stores either... I need this for tomorrow, trying to test today. There is a sync cord with the light set up, but I do not have a port for it on the camera

You can purchase a device that fits on the hotshot and has a PC connection for a PC cord, but why not invest in a set of Pocket Wizards? I really like mine, and that's what I would use.

I'm not sure if you can turn down the power on the SB-910 to where it wouldn't affect the photo and still fire the strobes, but if you want to try, it, go into the menu on the SB-910 and select "manual" and then you can turn down the power level (turn the wheel). I think it goes to 1/125 of full power, if I remember.

Can you get a couple of Pocket Wizards today? That would be the best fix in the long run because you'll use them all the time.

on the 910 there a little rubber cover over the PC-sync port if you want to use that.

you can get an adapter such as an Nikon SC-15 (this is what I use but on a handheld bracket for roving around with a higher flash) that does the same thing without being a flash. Or the SB-800 which is another commander but not a flash (but don't need because of the strobes).

Or on nikon d700 (not d750), d8x0 and higher cameras they have a built in PC-sync port so you don't need anything extra.

you're not going to do TTL .. you'll have to set the strobes manually. The PCSync port is just going to tell the strobes when to flash.

"I need this for tomorrow, trying to test today." ==> last minute testing ?

last minute model scheduled! I was trying to just figure out for my product photography, then the model said she could come tomorrow!

You may need a cable adapter from the PW (pocketwizard) to your strobe.
The adapters are included when you purchase new Pocket Wizards. I have the Plus III's and they came with the adapters. All it is is a short cable that connects the PW to the strobe, but it should be included. The PW is lightweight, so it can just hang on the cord.

thanks!! i don't have any camera stores near me :( not that I can find on the map!

Get them online and get overnight delivery.

BTW: did you try that idea of turning the speedlight down low to see if it worked? Put up an opaque card between the speedlight and your subject and let enough light spill around to fire the strobes in slave mode. Something like a piece of cardboard or a clipboard on a light stand a few inches in front of the speedlight, making sure the strobe detectors can get the flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back