Thoughts on old DSLR

WB8588

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are you guys thoughts on buying an old DSLR like a Nikon D700? I don't need the newest camera. I just want a full-frame DSLR that I can attach use better glass with. I currently have a D3200 which isn't bad but do find myself wanting the extra space and detail that comes with the FX format.

Who says FX sensors have more detail?

Wrong choice of words I suppose. But bigger sensor would equal more light which would give more information.

Wrong choice of words I suppose. But bigger sensor would equal more light which would give more information.

Uh.... no. Amount of light is exactly the same. Exposure is equal regardless of format. An 8x10 large-format camera uses the same exposure as the itty-bitty sensor in your phone.

Uh.... no. Amount of light is exactly the same. Exposure is equal regardless of format. An 8x10 large-format camera uses the same exposure as the itty-bitty sensor in your phone.

Didn't know that. I guess I will continue shooting on my DSLR. Haha just a thought. Like I said I like my 3200. Just sometimes wish the frame was bigger. Especially shooting portrait orientation. The frame looks very narrow. But I don't think the extra space is worth the cash. Especially since I also have a Mamiya rb76.

Didn't know that. I guess I will continue shooting on my DSLR. Haha just a thought.

What you generally get with FX is better low-light performance.

Like I said I like my 3200. Just sometimes wish the frame was bigger. Especially shooting portrait orientation. The frame looks very narrow. But I don't think the extra space is worth the cash.

"Extra space"? What's that?

Especially since I also have a Mamiya rb76.

What's the difference between an rb76 and an rb67? I have a 67, but have never seen a 76. :345:

Didn't know that. I guess I will continue shooting on my DSLR. Haha just a thought.

What you generally get with FX is better low-light performance.

Like I said I like my 3200. Just sometimes wish the frame was bigger. Especially shooting portrait orientation. The frame looks very narrow. But I don't think the extra space is worth the cash.

"Extra space"? What's that?

Especially since I also have a Mamiya rb76.

What's the difference between an rb76 and an rb67? I have a 67, but have never seen a 76. :345:

Extra space meaning it doesn't look cropped.

And lol yeah I think the 76 is the latest firmware upgrade. My bad it was a typo

To respond to your original question: The D700 is an an excellent camera; I still regularly use one for paid work, and plan on buying a couple more if I can find a couple of decently used, low-shutter count bodies. The biggest things you will get by going from your current body to the D700 is better low-light performance, improved feature set, and vastly superior build quality.

Just sometimes wish the frame was bigger.

I think you know what you want regardless of how you describe it.

@tirediron lays out good reasoning and can back it up with experience. You will never regret having a diverse set of tools in your toolbox.

Do it.

There are many reasons why an FX body is desirable to a DX one and the D700 is essentially a D3 in a smaller form factor. Excellent ergos, wonderful files, weather sealed and big gooey photosites to capture light. At one time I owed two of them, one with the drive and they made me gobs of money. If you find a low shutter count one in nice shape jump on it.

Just sometimes wish the frame was bigger. Especially shooting portrait orientation. The frame looks very narrow.
This may be a false reason to get the D700. If your frame is too tight with the D3200, you could just step back a few steps to make the frame have more room around your subject.

There are some valid reasons to go to a D700, but getting more space around your subject seems like some other kind of problem.

D700... older but quite good, available for a low price. D600 , 610 are also good. D800 is spectacular

Back a few steps? I have long used the example of two cameras,one DX, the other FX. And one 85 mm prime lens. Let us say you wish to do a vertical portrait of two people, and they're standing, and you need a picture area that is 8.47 ft tall. With the full frame camera you'll get that picture from 20 feet away. But with the DX format camera you will need to be about 34 ft away.... somewhat more than, " a few steps".

Back a few steps? I have long used the example of two cameras,one DX, the other FX. And one 85 mm prime lens. Let us say you wish to do a vertical portrait of two people, and they're standing, and you need a picture area that is 8.47 ft tall. With the full frame camera you'll get that picture from 20 feet away. But with the DX format camera you will need to be about 34 ft away.... somewhat more than, " a few steps".
But you probably wouldn't be using a 85mm for portraits on a crop camera, a 50mm gives very roughly the same FOV & is cheaper....

If you need more space around the subjects stepping back or using a wider lens is the normal approach.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back