Well, apparently I'm famous (infamous?), or: How not to provide constructive critique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t say that I remember him at all...

Omg I just looked at his portfolio...
He's got his own style...

You're respected as a working pro John, by people who know more than a thing or two about photography.
Cheers! I like to think I get one right now and then!

From his portfolio page.

"I don't have a portfolio online. While online portfolios are not intrinsically dumb, they're not consistent with the way I work. Now, if you're just here because I pissed you off somewhere and you want to see some pictures so you can confirm your already formed opinion that I suck, well, I can point you to a few posts that contain pictures."

Sounds like someone makes a habit of pissing people off. lol
I'd say that's a safe assumption! :lol:

What a completely petty thing to do.
That was my assessment!

Sounds vaguely familiar to another troll who's makes an appearance here every so often under different names.
Ayyyyyy-yup!

Your work doesn’t need defending, John.I’m with Braineack, and the Stoic philosopher, Epictetus, who said, “Did he say those terrible things about me? I guess he didn’t know my other faults or he would have mentioned them too.” A strong and sensible man, I think.
Great quote! :)

Sounds like someone still isn't over being banned from this "dysfunctional Internet forum." :lol:
I suspect he makes a career of not getting over things!

Sorry this happened. I'd be ticked too.
Thanks, though the more I think about it, the less it bothers me. I suspect most of his on-line posting is an exercise in self-gratification and posts like that are nothing more than a way to deal with personal frustration.

Can’t say that I remember him at all...
Not a bad thing!

I'm indulging and having a little fun in the comments of his blog. This guy is free to say what he likes, but that doesn't exempt him from hearing what we think.

Last edited:
My photo is the 2nd one on the blog. :eek: I'm not sure why it's even on there but at least credit my work. I'm proud of it LOL :D

On another note, as a professional I rarely talk about other people's photos unless I'm specifically asked. We all have different approach to photography and how we tell a story, and it's very subjected. It is a petty behavior.

Last edited:
I think I remember him making a very inconsiderate comment on the forum here a few years back on a family photo with kids. Inconsiderate, no, actually horrible. This set my respect level for his opinion then.

Ok now I'm insulted! I don't even feature!

I mean its not as if I want his attention, but still he left me out!

I disagree with him when he mocks pictures being taken for memories, they are taking pictures for memories. About 3 or 4 months ago I decided to colorize a photograph of my mother getting ready on her wedding day. I figure the photographer has long gone to the pearly gates (My parents were married 66 years) and mother passed away in early 2017. The original photograph unedited is still better than my colorization of the photograph, for I was just trying to visualize what my mom's wedding would look like in color. Here's the photograph:

before-after-01
by John Pepp, on Flickr

A wedding or engagement photographs will become memories for family member such as a son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter or whoever. Sure the above photograph was stage, for I'm sure my mom was already ready for her wedding by the time this picture was taken. Even though it was stage I'm sure my mother was thinking about something else. Just like that vain attempt of mocking the photograph(s) of the engagement session. Sure they were posing for the camera(s), but I'm sure they were doing so in hopes of capturing a moment in time / memory. Someday, some family member is going to stumble across that photograph and say to themselves "Mom and Dad were truly happy back then". I wasted to much on this sad person that finds pleasure in a vain attempt to tear apart other people's work or memories.

Your work doesn’t need defending, John.I’m with Braineack, and the Stoic philosopher, Epictetus, who said, “Did he say those terrible things about me? I guess he didn’t know my other faults or he would have mentioned them too.” A strong and sensible man, I think.

mine's more this:

Hello, Mr. Roark. I hoped I'd meet you someday, like this, alone. You shouldn't mind talking to me.

What about?

There's a building that should've been yours. There are buildings going up all over the city, chances refused to you and given to fools. You're walking the streets while they do the work you love but cannot obtain. This city is closed to you.

It is I who have done it. - Don't you want to know my motive?

No.

I'm fighting you, and I shall fight you in every way I can.

You're free to do what you please.

Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me in any words you wish?

But I don't think of you.

Is that from The Fountainhead?

Anyway, I used to sometimes read his blog but eventually didn't anymore because it mostly seemed to be criticizing other bloggers. (So stop reading them...)

And yes, Andrew, I know you are probably reading this because TPF has been referenced on occasion. If you have a problem with something here, why not post and say so? I guess it's easier to sit at your keyboard and type about it to yourself (or anyone who will read it).

Sorry John this happened to you, certainly you don't deserve it.

And yes, Andrew, I know you are probably reading this because TPF has been referenced on occasion. .......

If he had administration privileges on the site, he has access to data that will show a sudden spike in multiple click-throughs from here.

I don't know if he did or not... I hope not.

I have read comments by him on his blog about something on here, so I could tell he was reading this forum. I don't know how often but I guess he still does if he's reposting photos from here and talking about them.

I gotta go see this...

I don't know if he did or not... I hope not.

I have read comments by him on his blog about something on here, so I could tell he was reading this forum. I don't know how often but I guess he still does if he's reposting photos from here and talking about them.

I gotta go see this...

its just what andrew wanted. some traffic to his mostly defunct blog and a bit of a dust-up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back