What is my next lens?

If you can't answer the question of what lens you need to buy, you are not ready to buy a new lens. You shouldn't buy a new lens until you reach the limits of what you're currently shooting with, and you understand why the lens is limiting you. Then you'll know what focal length and features are important to you and be able to make an informed decision for yourself. We can't answer the question of what lens to buy because we aren't you. It's that simple.

I disagree with this. It's the buyers prerogative whether or not they want a lens now or later. Buying when "ready" for a piece of equipment is an unnecessary deterrent with no applicable benefit. I bought a D5100 and returned it within a week and a half of ownership, and then waited over a month for the D7000 to be in stock. Never looked back. Waiting to be bottlenecked by your gear is something I would not advise doing. After all, it's just a camera lens and not a crotch rocket. All it takes is the identification of what focal lengths you use and then if you have the money for it, go for the best you can afford. Experienced photographers mock the inexperienced for having top of the line gear out of sheer arrogance or even jealousy, when in reality that's probably the best thing you can do. If you know you like photography, and you know it's something you are going to be serious about. Buy the best now. You save money in the end. I don't know why people recommend $300 tripods, but then recommend cheap equipment to put on it. Not you destin, but I have seen this here on the forum.

If I were to do it all over, I would not have bought the lenses I did. I'm 4 months into ownership, and I am already looking to upgrade my lenses. If I were to do it all over again, I would have spent the extra few hundred on much better lenses.

The illusion is: a better lens is going to give me better pictures. This is a very common misconception. I could buy a hayabusa, doesn't mean I can run it faster than somebody with any 600cc. aspects to consider. Experience, I had a 250cc for a while. Technique, I taught myself how to ride that motorcycle, so I didn't get help from anybody. Those are just two example, but I could mention more.
In the case of the OP, he's had the camera for a month, and I don't know about his photographic habilities, but not knowing about lenses suggests that his hability is not too high. In the end, the benefits (as small as they may be) will not make you as happy, as the fact or having a newer, more expensive lens.

No, it's no illusion. This whole "equipment doesn't matter" mantra needs to be put to rest. It's deceptive, otherwise photographers would not be walking around with $10,000 in gear. The motorcycle analogy doesn't work here, nor would any other analogy. Can't exactly drive my D7000.

Taking a photograph does not take years to technically master and doesn't have a ridiculous amount of variables like racing does. Art may take a lifetime, but if you think that you will not see the difference in your work if you had a $150 55-200mm vs a $2000 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, then you've got yourself a nice big serving of koolaid.

So now back to the "illusion". So If had to shoot a football game at night and you had the option to use the 70-200mm 2.8 or a 55-200mm 4-5.6 which would you go for?

A photographer's knowledge and artistic ability matters, but the equipment is just as important. I'd rather have the better gear to grow into.

Why would anyone tell someone looking for advice on the correct and best equipment to invest money in for a specific task tell that person to just use whatever you already have?

Bear with me here. I used to teach scuba diving, if a new diver came to me and said 'I really enjoy diving and this inexpensive gear a buddy of mine set me up with is functional, but what should I invest in to have the right equipment? ' and I told that person that if they had to ask that they didn't need the better equipment, I would be arrogant or lying.

For every task, there is a tool. Some tools are sufficient and others are best for the job and provide the best results. For a beginner to ask what the better equipment than what basically came with the camera from a buddy, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Let's expand on the motorcycle example. Someone shows up with a piece of junk and says 'I really enjoy riding and I think I want to travel on a bike, which bike should I get? ' and you tell them that the $500 dirt bike is good enough until you can answer the question yourself would be idiotic.

But what do I know? I'm just a beginner.

I would be arrogant or lying.
IMO, it is not so different here...

Yes, the photographer makes the photo, not the gear. BUT, you do need the gear, and better gear helps make your job as the photographer easier. And in some cases opens up doors that were previously closed.

Yes, the photographer makes the photo, not the gear. BUT, you do need the gear, and better gear helps make your job as the photographer easier. And in some cases opens up doors that were previously closed.
To expand on that point, learning about the gear is also important, and the best way to do that is to ask experienced people questions. That and reading. Doing lots of reading. But to find a beginning point to read, it's best to find the right topic to read about. That is why I came here to ask the question. Going into my local camera dealership might not get the most unbiased answer.

Why would anyone tell someone looking for advice on the correct and best equipment to invest money in for a specific task tell that person to just use whatever you already have?

Bear with me here. I used to teach scuba diving, if a new diver came to me and said 'I really enjoy diving and this inexpensive gear a buddy of mine set me up with is functional, but what should I invest in to have the right equipment? ' and I told that person that if they had to ask that they didn't need the better equipment, I would be arrogant or lying.

For every task, there is a tool. Some tools are sufficient and others are best for the job and provide the best results. For a beginner to ask what the better equipment than what basically came with the camera from a buddy, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Let's expand on the motorcycle example. Someone shows up with a piece of junk and says 'I really enjoy riding and I think I want to travel on a bike, which bike should I get? ' and you tell them that the $500 dirt bike is good enough until you can answer the question yourself would be idiotic.

No, you have the right idea. It's common for people in this field to tell other's they're not "ready" to buy a new lens and it's silly. When I created an account in a different photography forum I named my budget and mentioned that I wanted to buy a camera that would take professional pictures, and I had this one arrogant know-it-all tell me I would be better off hiring a pro photographer because it's not the camera that takes professional pictures it's the photographer. Well guess what, with all the knowledge and experience that I've acquired, I still can't bring myself to take good action shots with my cell phone. My DSLR seems to do alright though. Without a camera, what is a photographer? That's why I try to help others in the same situation that I was in so I'm they're not misled like I was. I have since then left that forum and came here, because there are many knowledgeable photographers here that will really help you improve your work.

I tell you though, it really irks some people to see a newbie with top of the line stuff lol.

Bingo. That's probably the best way to put it.

I tell you though, it really irks some people to see a newbie with top of the line stuff lol.
I completely understand the feeling. When I was new to scuba, I got well under what I could afford. The BC was really high end, the regulator was upper middle and the console was low end. To be honest, I didn't even know how to use the console. If anyone here knows about scuba, the console is just as important, or even more important than anything else. I wish I had gotten a middle of the road computer. Fast forward to when I was teaching scuba. I would have someone come in and not even be certified buying the high end equipment. In my head I thought to myself 'why do you need the $3000 hoseless integrated computer when the $300 non-integrated computer will be more than adequate?' Of course I also remembered how I wish I had gotten the best I could afford instead of settling when I first got certified.

To those that have actually helped with ideas as to what I need, thanks!

Oh, and since I can afford to get some nice gear, I will. And if that irks some people, that makes it that much more enjoyable!

I completely understand the feeling. When I was new to scuba, I got well under what I could afford. The BC was really high end, the regulator was upper middle and the console was low end. To be honest, I didn't even know how to use the console. If anyone here knows about scuba, the console is just as important, or even more important than anything else. I wish I had gotten a middle of the road computer. Fast forward to when I was teaching scuba. I would have someone come in and not even be certified buying the high end equipment. In my head I thought to myself 'why do you need the $3000 hoseless integrated computer when the $300 non-integrated computer will be more than adequate?' Of course I also remembered how I wish I had gotten the best I could afford instead of settling when I first got certified.

To those that have actually helped with ideas as to what I need, thanks!

Oh, and since I can afford to get some nice gear, I will. And if that irks some people, that makes it that much more enjoyable!

I have no opinion on it really. If you want to spend thousands on gear, that's your business. Of course there is a learning curve, but you are here trying to learn anyway. Why not have the best you can get and learn about it which will lead to the process of becoming proficient at it.

I don't know anything about scuba diving but I know a little bit about motocycles. the rider knows that he has a piece of junk that is not appropriate for traveling. the op admits that his camera is ok.
Second, there are reasons why some people are saying don't buy anything and use what you have.
Who knows what others need, without a budget people can only mention random options, look at what some people is saying. After spending alot of money on their kits, if they were to do it over they would spend more. They would probably be saying the same thing even if they had chosen the more expensive lens. So where does it stop?
If you had asked what lens is better than the kit lens the answer would be easier, but the question is what do I need? There are other inconsistencies, you said you won't be spending alot of money, but we are to pretend that money is not a factor, while in reality it is a mayor factor.
Only last thing, some people including myself recommended a tripod, for landscape a tripod would make more difference than the slightly better lens you might buy.

Last edited:

I don't know anything about scuba diving but I know a little bit about motocycles. The difference between your example and the op is that the rider knows that he has a piece of junk that is not appropriate for traveling. the op admits that his camera is ok.
Second, there are reasons why some people are saying don't buy anything and use what you have.
Who knows what he needs, without a budget people can only mention random options, look at what some people is saying. After spending alot of money on their kits, if they were to do it over they would spend more. They would probably be saying the same thing even if they had chosen the more expensive lens. So where does it stop?
If the op had asked what lens is better than the kit lens the answer would be easier, but the question is what do I need? There are other inconsistencies, he won't be spending alot of money, but we are to pretend that money is not a factor, while in reality it is a mayor factor.
Only last thing, some people including myself recommended a tripod, for landscape a tripod would make more difference than the slightly better lens he might buy.

So what are you recommending?

Why would anyone tell someone looking for advice on the correct and best equipment to invest money in for a specific task tell that person to just use whatever you already have? . . .

I don't think many people are just telling you to use whatever you have. I think they are telling you to use it better.

For instance, a kit lens can take wonderful landscape photos. At f/8, there is no noticable difference between a kit lens and a pro lens. On the other hand, there is a huge difference between a good tripod and a poor tripod when taking the same shot.

Again, for wildlife, the focal length that you have is already appropriate. There are better options out there, but they cost thousands of dollars.

Honestly, beyond the tripod, which you need, I would say your next step is to buy a better camera body. Then, you will buy a 70-200 2.8. After that a 24-70 2.8. Then a 16-35 2.8...That's about 8 grand. After that, you should consider a 300mm 2.8/400mm 2.8(around 8 grand).

The reason people say you should wait until you know what you want is because we know how expensive it is to upgrade to the best. Heck, a tripod can run up to $1500. It's more about buying what you need than buying the best available. Most people have a budget and don't realize you can easily spend 40k on camera gear without knowing how to use it.

So, to sum it up, my advice is to pick up a tripod, learn your limitations and then come back and ask for advice on what you want to upgrade to. I would also consider picking up a more modern camera body. Other than that, with your stated purposes, you are already equipped to do what you want. Now, all it takes is the knowledge.

You mention several times that you are a SCUBA instructer. You wouldn't just hand somebody a top of the line regulator and assume they are ready to make deep dives, right?

I maintain that the op should wait to purchase a new lens. Save your money and wait until you've been shooting longer. You won't know what you need, or even what you actually like to shoot, until you have some more time in behind the camera.

Kerbouchard said:
You mention several times that you are a SCUBA instructer. You wouldn't just hand somebody a top of the line regulator and assume they are ready to make deep dives, right?
You are right, I would not hand over the top of the line regulator and tell them to dive deep because if that is what they wanted to do, they still would need more equipment and I would answer their question and tell them what they needed plus the reasons why they can't make those dives without trying to be pretentious. Afterall, diving is a little more of an extreme sport than photography.

Some people here really try to make it hard for newbs to get started. It's a wonder there are any hobbiests here at all. Is the photo world really full of people like this?

Destin said:
I maintain that the op should wait to purchase a new lens. Save your money and wait until you've been shooting longer. You won't know what you need, or even what you actually like to shoot, until you have some more time in behind the camera.

You assume you know something about me. How do you know that I don't know what I enjoy?

Last edited:
tsipma said:
You assume you know something about me. How do you know that I don't know what I enjoy?

Because if you did you wouldn't have had to ask this question.

Most reactions

Back