Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Aperture priority

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use exposure compensation a lot (infact I underexpose by one stop during the day most of the time to stop the sun getting my whites ruined)

but here might be a time to use manual mode:

Its not in the camera just for show - it has a purpose. Also what about waterfall photos - or smoky water photos in genearl - you might be wanting a different aperture to what the camera thinks it right.

Horses for courses a lot of the time when you are debating between the av and tv modes and manual mode - in the end if it gets you the results you are after then its working as it should

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying I never use manual, in fact I use manual more than Av or Tv, but to flip out and say "ANd *I* am right. Not av or tv.".... Well, that's why the damn exposure compensation is there!

Av 90% of the time, since I've got pretty crap lenses and they're so soft wide open that I always want to have my aperture under control. Rest of the time it's manual, when I need to get the shutter speed right (longer exposures etc.)

Av (Canon, which is very different from Nikon's aperture mode I was told)
, and manual.

P mostly when im not doing macro or long exposure... i kind of can tell wether or not the camera is metering the way i want and i can go from there but usually my little D40 does just what i want

I don't understand why ANYONE would bash someone for using full manual on their camera/???? I am SOO confused by this. I use FULL MANUAL each and everytime I shoot a picture and I"ll tell you why (and its not cuz I'm a sheep)

I have shot in AV and TV modes prior and it doesn't get the picture right. I only have to meter one time in any given situation and then I don't even LOOK at my meter, I look at my histogram, and I manually change my settings. Often, it is WAYYY over or under (depending the situation) than what AV or TV would try to give me. ANd *I* am right. Not av or tv. Why in god's name would I trusts an inanimate object to be able to define a complex lighting situation FOR ME???

It takes me less time, less headache, and consistant exposure. It's second nature. I want to control my exposure, and not "trust" that my camera will just DO it for me. I resent the implication that anyone who uses manual is a sheep. Good thing your spouting poison here on TPF and not on a more serious natured bored because you would be chewed up and spit out.

as far as letting an inatimate object choose the control for you, all you have to do is understand that the camera wants to expose the pic as if it were full daylight and change the exposure comp from there

What mode do I shoot in? Whichever one is appropriate for the situation.
It's like asking 'what exposure did you use?' Does it matter so long as the image is what you want?
You may hear 'that's a great picture of a tree' but I assure you no-one will ever say 'that's terrific use of the aperture priority mode with 1/3rd stop exposure compensation' :lmao:

See my sig. That phrase there about hammers isn't really about "using the most uber technology all the time", nor is it about "use the easiest method you can get your hands on". It is entirely about using the right tool for the right job, and understanding that if there is a tool that is commonly available, there is likely a very good reason for that... like, for example, it is commonly needed in certain situations.

Would you make fun of a guy banging in a nail with a hammer?[/quote]

Indeed not... But in my "other life" as a hobbyist woodworker/renovator I own several Pasco nail guns - the biggest of which drives 4 inch nails into timber with the squeeze of a trigger - and my most-used is a Pasco fixing gun which drives 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50mm pins into timber. Useful when glueing/assembling cabinets etc. I also own several 'manual' hammers - but I rarely use any of these to 'bang' a nail in... (bruised and dented timber doesn't look good)...
I could also mention that the 'screw' has somewhat updated the nail as the preferred method of fixing - and that the single slot 'flat-head' steel screw is now in the museum vaults of antiquity... we now have square drive and triangle drive and star drive and hex head screws...
So... while i would not (ever) take the p*ss out of another guy banging in a nail with a hammer - it is not MY way of getting the job done.
"Nostalgia is not what it used to be..."
Jedo

Well to begin with I used Auto but I mostly use Aperture Priority now. I'm terrible for experimenting with different shooting modes :er:

See my sig. That phrase there about hammers isn't really about "using the most uber technology all the time", nor is it about "use the easiest method you can get your hands on". It is entirely about using the right tool for the right job, and understanding that if there is a tool that is commonly available, there is likely a very good reason for that... like, for example, it is commonly needed in certain situations.

Would you make fun of a guy banging in a nail with a hammer?[/quote]

Indeed not... But in my "other life" as a hobbyist woodworker/renovator I own several Pasco nail guns - the biggest of which drives 4 inch nails into timber with the squeeze of a trigger - and my most-used is a Pasco fixing gun which drives 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50mm pins into timber. Useful when glueing/assembling cabinets etc. I also own several 'manual' hammers - but I rarely use any of these to 'bang' a nail in... (bruised and dented timber doesn't look good)...
I could also mention that the 'screw' has somewhat updated the nail as the preferred method of fixing - and that the single slot 'flat-head' steel screw is now in the museum vaults of antiquity... we now have square drive and triangle drive and star drive and hex head screws...
So... while i would not (ever) take the p*ss out of another guy banging in a nail with a hammer - it is not MY way of getting the job done.
"Nostalgia is not what it used to be..."
Jedo

Yeah, well that's kinda my point. Use the tool thats right for the job, and don't poo poo certain tools just because you don't like them.

I might if he were hitting the nail with the handle of said device - maybe the rock was a smart move after all.... :lol:

:lol:

Wow you should really get some sort of prescription for that..

And to both of you:
It's called "exposure compensation".

Hm. Would you use this because it adjusts by partial fstops? Fine-tuning, in effect? I've never really used this either. :mrgreen:

I don't understand why ANYONE would bash someone for using full manual on their camera/???? I am SOO confused by this. I use FULL MANUAL each and everytime I shoot a picture and I"ll tell you why (and its not cuz I'm a sheep)

I have shot in AV and TV modes prior and it doesn't get the picture right. I only have to meter one time in any given situation and then I don't even LOOK at my meter, I look at my histogram, and I manually change my settings. Often, it is WAYYY over or under (depending the situation) than what AV or TV would try to give me. ANd *I* am right. Not av or tv. Why in god's name would I trusts an inanimate object to be able to define a complex lighting situation FOR ME???

It takes me less time, less headache, and consistant exposure. It's second nature. I want to control my exposure, and not "trust" that my camera will just DO it for me. I resent the implication that anyone who uses manual is a sheep. Good thing your spouting poison here on TPF and not on a more serious natured bored because you would be chewed up and spit out.

errrrr... okay .. you are a professional photographer and you use your meter once?

your method of only using histograms to adjust your exposure is post corrective and is wasting your time..

if you are shooting kids outside on a partly cloudy day there can be a stop difference in between in the clouds... by using the histogram and not using your meter you are blowing shots chasing the correct exposure.... the camera's meter is your friend you should perhaps learn how to use it... this same meter is used by your camera to determine the correct shutter speed when using aperture priority mode... the calculation of determining shutter speed is mathematical and not just some wild guess by your camera....

here's a crazy idea Kelly.... try setting your camera to f2.8 in aperture priority and observe the suggested shutter speed.... then switch to manual f2.8 and adjust the shutter speed to the meter.... wow... it's the same shutter speed... so.. are you telling your camera what to do or is your camera telling you what to do??

if you tried using aperture priority and achieved inconsistent exposures both hot and cold then your camera is defective and you should return it to your dealer... some cameras (and lenses) meter a little hot and a simple one time exposure compensation adjustment will take care of that.....

there are certain situations where using manual is a helpful.. but there is no NEED or advantage to using manual all the time.... you are simply wasting your time.. this is not poison i'm spreading kelly it's fact...if you care to challenge my opinion with fact then bring this information forward.... otherwise learn how to use your camera... as a professional photograher it will save you time and maybe give you a competitive edge with your pricing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back