What to keep, what to sell, what to buy?

I shoot in M and A for the most part. I aim the spot that I want focused. It beeps then I shoot. Is there a video that shows exactly how to focus then recompose the shot? Everyone is talking about this but I think I am doing it. Hmm

Have you tried your camera manual?

focusing manual or shooting in M? i shoot in M 90 percent of the time. i set my shutter speed and then my aperture and shoot

I think he meant the manual that came with your camera.

I think he meant the manual that came with your camera.

LMAO. the manual will tell me the settings to keep it in focus? lol. i read my manual yes...and lots of web reading. maybe my camera is defective? lol i mean i really point it at the eye and its in focus...the 1:1 in lightroom its not clear...im not a moron....maybe i am. lol

In most cases, your outer focus points will be less accurate than your center most one. Try setting your camera to use one focus point, the center. Aim that focus point at the eye of your subject, and recompose the shot without changing the focus.

It's the only cross type focus point that the D3100 has, but it's the most accurate for acquiring focus.

bumpylemon, you should drive down there, tyler wants to show you how it's done. Nature photography at it's best.

Sorry, Franco. I'm not really into nudes or boudoir. Your original post was better, until you changed it in a failed attempt at humor.

Maine is a great place for nature photography however, that you are correct in saying.

LOL, you doesnt seem like to have a sense of humor at all.
I have been traveling Maine/Vermont a few times, its true that the landscape is quite nice.

people here tend to over critque to a point that is unfair. so im not looking for opinions.

No, people here tend to over suck, and underestimate what the professional standard is, and what it takes to consistently deliver it.

Not trying to be a dick, but if you think the beginner's forum here is overly critical, wait until the person who just paid you a few grand for a major shoot doesn't get what they were expecting...

bumpylemon, you should drive down there, tyler wants to show you how it's done. Nature photography at it's best.

Sorry, Franco. I'm not really into nudes or boudoir. Your original post was better, until you changed it in a failed attempt at humor.

Maine is a great place for nature photography however, that you are correct in saying.

LOL, you doesnt seem like to have a sense of humor at all.

None whatsoever.

So your saying that you don't know about different focus modes like Single Shot and Continuous and you are thinking about buying a D700. I honestly just don't think you know enough about what different camera settings do to be able to use a D700 effectively. It might hurt you as much as it helps you.

All you do to focus and then recompose like everyone is saying is this:
-Set AF to single shot, so it doesn't keep hunting.
-Select center focus point
-Place center focus point over desired focus spot on subject (almost always the eyes in portraits)
-Press shutter release half way down to lock the focus
-while still holding the shutter release half way down, recompose then take the shot. (you can also switch the camera to MF mode once the focus is locked, to ensure it won't change)
-check the preview and zoom in on the eyes as much as possible to ensure they are sharp.

One thing that really helps with checking your shots for focus is shooting tethered to a computer, so you can immediately view your shots on a large screen.

So your saying that you don't know about different focus modes like Single Shot and Continuous and you are thinking about buying a D700. I honestly just don't think you know enough about what different camera settings do to be able to use a D700 effectively. It might hurt you as much as it helps you.
How exactly can it hurt?

Twice in this thread you have recommended the D7000 over the D700. I can honestly say that you don't have enough information about the cameras to make an assesment for spending other peoples money.

How exactly can it hurt?

Twice in this thread you have recommended the D7000 over the D700. I can honestly say that you don't have enough information about the cameras to make an assesment for spending other peoples money.

It can hurt because there is more knowledge required to get good results out of it than a D3000/3100. If you don't know what the many settings on it do, and you have one set wrong, it could mess you up. The op is still asking about how to get sharp photos with his D3000. Upgrading to a D700 isn't going to help, it's just going to confuse him more in my opinion.

I'm in no way saying the D7k is better than the D700. I'm saying that it is better than it for the OP's purpose, because he really doesn't NEED an upgrade at all. The D700 is more camera than the D7k will ever be, but it will still do more than the OP needs.

He is shooting in a well lit studio enviroment most of the time, where you won't be able to tell if a given photo was taken with a D3000, or a D3s/x. They all produce equally good results under optimal (studio) conditions. The higher end cameras simply give better build quality, easier access to controls, and better results in extreme lighting situations.

Oh, and to prove a point:
Iphone fashion shoot:

Last edited by a moderator:

All you do to focus and then recompose like everyone is saying is this:
-Set AF to single shot, so it doesn't keep hunting.
-Select center focus point
-Place center focus point over desired focus spot on subject (almost always the eyes in portraits)
-Press shutter release half way down to lock the focus
-while still holding the shutter release half way down, recompose then take the shot. (you can also switch the camera to MF mode once the focus is locked, to ensure it won't change)
-check the preview and zoom in on the eyes as much as possible to ensure they are sharp.

One thing that really helps with checking your shots for focus is shooting tethered to a computer, so you can immediately view your shots on a large screen.

thats what i do. im not a moron. lol. i was just making sure thats what people meant. i honestly think i have a defective camera...i got the d700 and 28-300mm today. and my pictures are 100 times better...soooo:hugs:

I sure hope youre not planning to shoot with the 28-300 in low light conditions.

Sounds like you have the job, money for better equipment but lack the camera and technique knowledge. Time will only Improve these issues. I wish I was in your shoes.

On a diff sidenote, does anybody know what's the best way to find an established photographer who would allow me to shadow them? I would love to improve my knowledge and technique. I took two years over 10 years ago but quite frankly so much has changed.

Going on a month family trip and would love to get a higher % of good shots.

I sure hope youre not planning to shoot with the 28-300 in low light conditions.

Sounds like you have the job, money for better equipment but lack the camera and technique knowledge. Time will only Improve these issues. I wish I was in your shoes.

On a diff sidenote, does anybody know what's the best way to find an established photographer who would allow me to shadow them? I would love to improve my knowledge and technique. I took two years over 10 years ago but quite frankly so much has changed.

Going on a month family trip and would love to get a higher % of good shots.
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Prime for low light conditions. and most work will be studio work and landscapes and outside.. although i now think there is something wrong with the d3100 and i am sending it back in to get it looked at. d700 pics i took blow the d3100s out the water. there must have been something wrong. cuz i do everything everyone else said to do. :thumbup:

Can we see some example shots from the D700?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back