What the stat? 9 out of 10 new business fail in the first year? This is why!
Anyways it always boggles the mind that people think they can start a business without even knowing how to do the thing they want to sell!!!
He never said he was going to copy their pricing structure.

And photographers have to start out somewhere, by buying a camera and studio stuff (s)he can practice and develope their craft while making soem money. It can be part time while you get things figured out.
I love my Canon 6D, full frame and not to expensive. I do recommend a 2nd camera for "when" the main camera goes on the fritz. As for lens I have found the 24-70 is a nice lens for most studio situations back when I was using a crop body. And it was nice not having to change lens all the time. With full frame Im usually using 85mm or 130mm in studio, 50mm for wider shots.
you can buy a three background hook system with pulleys from bh for about $100 and a few rolls of 110" wide paper for $60 each to get going. Then work on your denny backgrounds over time.
I bought three elinichrom dlite4 strobes for about $1200 all together, they are great but once in a while one will stop flashing at the correct power until I turn it off and back on again, but the lights are great in that they produce alot of power and produce the same color at various power outputs. And they use a built in trigger system if you wish. Im usually at iso 100 F5 in studio when the flashes are at F2 *lowest power*
An older version of photoshop can be had for cheap, or $10 a month if you want to rent it. A $300 computer is sufficient enough for it, although more money will make you more efficient time wise.
Dont forget equipment insurance, liability insurance and keeping income tax aside.
And dont forget marketing, website and a business cell.

and most importantly know your cost of doing business if you want to do this full time. there is a reason walmart photo lab went out of business.
