Whats the equipment that "Picture People" use?

What the stat? 9 out of 10 new business fail in the first year? This is why!

Anyways it always boggles the mind that people think they can start a business without even knowing how to do the thing they want to sell!!!

Thanks for the reply. I know its probably best to go with what you told me, but I have never been a second-hand kinda guy, I like new stuff because I know they have warranty. My total budget is 6k, so I want to spend 3k just on camera and lens. I do have a SONY DSC-HX1, but I don't think I can get good practice with it.

Thanks for the reply. I know its probably best to go with what you told me, but I have never been a second-hand kinda guy, I like new stuff because I know they have warranty. My total budget is 6k, so I want to spend 3k just on camera and lens. I do have a SONY DSC-HX1, but I don't think I can get good practice with it.

There's nothing wrong with buying new.

I don't buy anything used.

I have too many bad experiences with used electronics (RIP 2007 MBP).

There IS something wrong with buying your first camera and immediately trying to open up shop, though.

By all means... get a camera... learn some sh*t. Practice for a few years and THEN... THEN... maybe go into business. Maybe.

With larger budget you could go new and could also consider Nikon (I suggested Canon before because of the budget friendly 5D). Going new Canon side I'd consider:

Canon 6D Canon EOS-6D DSLR Camera Body 8035B002
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Sigma 24mm-70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical IF EX DG HSM Lens for Canon DSLRs 571101

Canon also makes a zoom in the same range, but the M1 is now off the market (second hand only) and the new is a lot more in cost. I suggest the zoom as with the inflated budget to spend toward a camera alone (leaving the other $3K open for lighting and other gear) the zoom offers a more flexible working setup as you can adapt your focal length to suit.
Otherwise you could still consider the Sigma 50mm f1.4 - if you go prime I'd try to get two - a 50mm and an 85mm into the budget if you can.

Erose also makes good sense (when not craze with coffee). Get the camera; get the books; practice and get good with it - then read up and get yourself a good lighting setup to suit and a stuffed toy and practice even more with lighting setups (people work well but stuffed toys never get bored of being flashed again and again and again whilst you experiment).

A good grounding will give you the skills; the confidence and the adaptability to provide a worthwhile service instead of something that will earn a tiny amount of money and fold up in under a year from lack of real income.

Erose also makes good sense (when not craze with coffee). Get the camera; get the books; practice and get good with it - then read up and get yourself a good lighting setup to suit and a stuffed toy and practice even more with lighting setups (people work well but stuffed toys never get bored of being flashed again and again and again whilst you experiment).

A good grounding will give you the skills; the confidence and the adaptability to provide a worthwhile service instead of something that will earn a tiny amount of money and fold up in under a year from lack of real income.

Can I have my wine now?

Just another point; many of the choices you have to make with equipment will be personal. There are many approaches to the same or similar results with photography. As a result of this making choices with little real world experience can be very daunting because people are providing opinions based on their experiences and understanding; but you've no way to sort those experiences from each other nor to apply them in a real world situation to yourself.
If you start with just the camera and lens - learn to use it and then build up toward lighting setups you'll find it a lot easier to get into it. You'll be able to make the choices and make better choices because suddenly those theories and ideas start to make sense in a real world context to yourself.

There's no real fast way into it unless you go work for an established firm as an intern/apprentice/assistant. A lot of people who jump in the deep end earn a tiny bit of money; but really nothing more than hobby pocket money and the "company" (such as it is and oft not even legally registered) folds within a year or so. Some get a little further if they've got a big network of friends; but they oft never break out of their friend groups for work; and again the profit is tiny (in fact most of the time there isn't actually any profit at all once you factor in the costs of gear-travel-fuel-time-labour etc..). Many people run a "photography business" that is just glorified pocket money - those who want to make it a proper earning job tend to need and have far better photographic understanding - coupled importantly with business understanding (this last part is critical as well - a modest photographer but a good businessman will go far better than a good photographer and a poor businessman).

Can I have my wine now?

Only if you've had a full main meal first

Great, I think I just might buy those combination and just start shooting pictures. One last question: Whats the name of those systems where the umbrella light only flash when we take a picture? Like theres an antenna connected to the camera, Ive seen picture people do this.

...my budget for camera lens and lighting is $3,000 and id rather buy new. I kinda feel like I need buy a camera and start using it before I can actually learn, so first step is to buy some books and buy an actual camera. Any suggestions?
Yep, spend the money on training and education (both business and photographic, but mostly business). $3000 isn't even going to buy the lighting you need for a studio (especially if you insist on buying new). Having a location is a great start and will save you several thousand dollars a month, but there's a lot more to consider (licenses, insurance, props...).

My "minimum" gear to open a studio would be: 2x FF bodies, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, and 85 f1.4. That should hit the belt at around $8000 or so... next you need lighting. Four lights would be a minimum. Dynalite or Speedotron will run you $3-4000, plus of course you need modifiers.... another $1000 or so. Props and backgrounds... probably get that in at or under $1000... odds and ends such as a flash meter, Xrite card, etc... another $1000ish.. For those playing along at home, we're right around $15K, and we haven't even touched on computers, software, POS system, advertising...

Not saying you can't do it, but I'm willing to bet you're on track to become a statistic with your current plan.

Looking to copy the equipment that a business uses with the assumption that the equipment is somehow fundamental in your interpretation of their business is rather severely missing the point.

Let me give you another example. I want to be an author. I hear Harry Potter is a huge success, so I'm going to write a story about a wizard who lives under the stairs.* Another example... if someone makes an excellent meal and you want to be a good cook like them, you don't ask them what kind of stove they are using.

Total miss... but don't feel bad. It's common.

You need to learn about photography. And while equipment is a part of that, it is largely secondary to all the other very important things you need to understand... composition, exposure, artistic representation of subjects, emotion, etc. These are things that are not contained in any camera or any flash.

There IS something wrong with buying your first camera and immediately trying to open up shop, though.

By all means... get a camera... learn some sh*t. Practice for a few years and THEN... THEN... maybe go into business. Maybe.

I have to agree with this. Depending on how much time you have to focus on learning about your camera and photography it could take years for you to become good enough that someone would be willing to pay for your work (of course you may have a natural knack for it and pick it up really quick). I'm no where near to being a professional or even semi-pro but do love going out and taking photos whenever I can (which unfortunately isn't very often due to work and family). I would love to one day be able to do some type of professional photography but am aware that getting a camera and some equipment is not the way to try to start a business and does not make you a "professional". I hope that you have some prior experience in photography or some form of art so you are not starting without any background in the field at all (which is the impression I am getting from reading your post, I apologize if I am mistaken).

Like others have said start out with buying a nice camera and a few lenses and learn how to use that and practice a lot then see how your work looks and decide if this is really something you want to do. Personally I think it would be a poor decision to spend thousands of dollars on equipment and then find out it is not what you thought it would be. Have you considered applying for a job at either The Picture People or another place that is similar (JC Penney's, Walmart, Sears, etc) to see if it is something you would enjoy doing? That would also give you the opportunity to see what type of equipment they use and how to use it. I can understand wanting to "be your own boss" but working at one of these places first may be better than just jumping in head first without really knowing what you are doing and you will gain some valuable experience.

What the stat? 9 out of 10 new business fail in the first year? This is why!

Anyways it always boggles the mind that people think they can start a business without even knowing how to do the thing they want to sell!!!

He never said he was going to copy their pricing structure. :) And photographers have to start out somewhere, by buying a camera and studio stuff (s)he can practice and develope their craft while making soem money. It can be part time while you get things figured out.

I love my Canon 6D, full frame and not to expensive. I do recommend a 2nd camera for "when" the main camera goes on the fritz. As for lens I have found the 24-70 is a nice lens for most studio situations back when I was using a crop body. And it was nice not having to change lens all the time. With full frame Im usually using 85mm or 130mm in studio, 50mm for wider shots.

you can buy a three background hook system with pulleys from bh for about $100 and a few rolls of 110" wide paper for $60 each to get going. Then work on your denny backgrounds over time. :D

I bought three elinichrom dlite4 strobes for about $1200 all together, they are great but once in a while one will stop flashing at the correct power until I turn it off and back on again, but the lights are great in that they produce alot of power and produce the same color at various power outputs. And they use a built in trigger system if you wish. Im usually at iso 100 F5 in studio when the flashes are at F2 *lowest power*

An older version of photoshop can be had for cheap, or $10 a month if you want to rent it. A $300 computer is sufficient enough for it, although more money will make you more efficient time wise.

Dont forget equipment insurance, liability insurance and keeping income tax aside. :)

And dont forget marketing, website and a business cell. :) and most importantly know your cost of doing business if you want to do this full time. there is a reason walmart photo lab went out of business. :)

PLEASE... please... tell me this is a freakin' joke.

Mods, please note; I am not flaming this noob.
[Mods, please note; I am.]

Easy hon.. easy. Have some Nyquil... and retract the claws. Last thing we need is for Overread to bring out the BunnyBacinator 5000 and open up with some grazing fire. Lol

Thanks for the reply. i wanted to take up a photography class but our local community college doesn't offer any. I already have a store (rent free) available. I just wanted to do the same-old same-old department store quality shots. But what I was amazed about when at Picture People was that they never changed a single thing, and all their pictures come out good. I was thinking if I would keep it simple, i could also pull off something like that. Anyway, my budget for camera lens and lighting is $3,000 and id rather buy new. I kinda feel like I need buy a camera and start using it before I can actually learn, so first step is to buy some books and buy an actual camera. Any suggestions?

Greetings Iowa, if I mght make a recommendation - I really wouldn't advise spending anywhere near that much on equipment, in fact what I'd recommend you do is get yourself a decent entry level DSLR of some sort and spend at least the next few years taking pictures and specifically portraits before you ever even consider trying to open a photography business. I realize that isn't what you want to hear, but the truth is if you go out and spend 3000 on equipment most likely you'll be selling it off at a huge loss in a year or two after your business fails. Again I'm not saying this to be harsh or mean, that is just the simple reality of it. Even very professional photographers with years and years of experience find it difficult to maintain a store front operation and make any kind of a profit.

Most reactions

Back