Awesome! Thanks for the info. I think the best thing for me to do is to just go and have Picture People photoshoot and just write down all their equipment lol
The one in our mall has a couple of their studios facing the store front.. whenever I see a family shoot happening in one of those studios, i stop and observe (my wife thinks I'm "wishing" for that job... far from it.. lol ). More than just the equipment but how they interact and pose the family. On rare occasions, you get to observe someone who obviously has experience with very young children and somehow figures out how to motivate them to pose. I like to watch those... coming from being a newish father perspective. Yeh... the photographer may just be going through a preset, predetermined choreography of photos but there is enough content there for a beginner to learn "some". All what Derrel describes is absolutely necessary for a successful studio photographer.
One photographer at FLASH digital quickly identified my son was just not going to cooperate. She mentioned that the studio wasn't busy and that we should simply go walk around the mall, buy a new toy, eat some snacks, and return an hour later. She also Identified me as a photographer because of how I was examining the equipment and she even noticed that I was hiding my camera within a discreet non-camera-camera-bag. So when we returned, my son was a bit better (full stomach, opened a new toy) and mentioned that "photographic father"s are rarely in family photos. So she took a few photos of me playing with my son and his new toy... not too bad! The photos weren't world class but they were good enough for the family to enjoy but what made the experience was that the person knew how to deal with a child. A heck of a lot easier than when we tried at home when all he wanted to do was go back to his play.