Well, I thought I knew until you gave the hint. I always heard it was in the song, Empty Spaces. But I never tried to find it myself.
that is correct,shirly <---(j/k),now the math equation is a bit fuzzy,as the 80's had taken there toll.I just remember it had something to do with "Stereo Steve" finding it.Time into the album?Feet into the tape?Anyway,it's another fine use for that strobe on your turntable................lol
You know that now you'll never be able to call me anything but shirly.

I do seem to remember something about the math equation, now that I've thought about it for a while. Like you though, I can't remember how it helped. I do know that you had to go to a certain spot in the song, and THEN play it backwards, and it started with something just horribly clever, like "you found the secret message
" :lmao:
It's a wonder ANY old rock albums are still playable, given how many people were forcing them to play backwards to hear all these hidden, subversive messages!
that is correct,shirly <---(j/k),now the math equation is a bit fuzzy,as the 80's had taken there toll.I just remember it had something to do with "Stereo Steve" finding it.Time into the album?Feet into the tape?Anyway,it's another fine use for that strobe on your turntable................lol
I guess I must be too young to understand all of this.
Jake
Yeah, you know, that's one of those things that you don't even think about, but I guess younger people have no idea about this.
Playing records backward, or "backmasking" was a pretty popular thing when I was younger. Many bands, including Pink Floyd, the Beatles and ELO, would "hide" secret messages that could only be heard by playing the record backwards. The trick was getting it to spin backwards at approximately the same speed as it did forward so the message was clear.
But then people started listening to EVERYTHING backwards, hoping for secret messages (which were, for the most part, incredibly insipid when you could even actually hear them
), and making up all kinds of subversive, subconscious stuff that was supposedly on different albums, just to make people play them backwards and try to hear them.