Who Still Uses a Turntable?!

At least one of those automatic turntables on that denon page are actually junk, relabelled version of a generic chinese one (ive seen an ones at the same price point under the marantz and sony labels, totally identical hardware).

I avoided automatic turntables, or anything with USB or inbuilt phone, as they all seemed a bit flimsy.

Go with a Pro-ject or a Rega. They keep it simple, less to go wrong, less tech also means more build quality. I got my Rega P3 used for like £100 and have had it neaely 5 years, before that some other guy had it for 20+.

At least one of those automatic turntables on that denon page are actually junk, relabelled version of a generic chinese one (ive seen an ones at the same price point under the marantz and sony labels, totally identical hardware).

I avoided automatic turntables, or anything with USB or inbuilt phone, as they all seemed a bit flimsy.

Go with a Pro-ject or a Rega. They keep it simple, less to go wrong, less tech also means more build quality. I got my Rega P3 used for like £100 and have had it neaely 5 years, before that some other guy had it for 20+.

I agree-- avoid "fancy" electronic ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are serious about finding a decent table checkout a site called Audio Karma. Lots of nice folks there who will offer knowledgeable advice. You will see many many threads covering this topic so if you don't feel like joining or asking you'll have plenty of information to brows through.

Well, I thought I knew until you gave the hint. I always heard it was in the song, Empty Spaces. But I never tried to find it myself.

that is correct,shirly <---(j/k),now the math equation is a bit fuzzy,as the 80's had taken there toll.I just remember it had something to do with "Stereo Steve" finding it.Time into the album?Feet into the tape?Anyway,it's another fine use for that strobe on your turntable................lol

Well, I thought I knew until you gave the hint. I always heard it was in the song, Empty Spaces. But I never tried to find it myself.

that is correct,shirly <---(j/k),now the math equation is a bit fuzzy,as the 80's had taken there toll.I just remember it had something to do with "Stereo Steve" finding it.Time into the album?Feet into the tape?Anyway,it's another fine use for that strobe on your turntable................lol

I guess I must be too young to understand all of this.

Jake

You know that now you'll never be able to call me anything but shirly. :lol:
I do seem to remember something about the math equation, now that I've thought about it for a while. Like you though, I can't remember how it helped. I do know that you had to go to a certain spot in the song, and THEN play it backwards, and it started with something just horribly clever, like "you found the secret message&#8230;" :lmao:

It's a wonder ANY old rock albums are still playable, given how many people were forcing them to play backwards to hear all these hidden, subversive messages!

Jake

Yeah, you know, that's one of those things that you don't even think about, but I guess younger people have no idea about this.
Playing records backward, or "backmasking" was a pretty popular thing when I was younger. Many bands, including Pink Floyd, the Beatles and ELO, would "hide" secret messages that could only be heard by playing the record backwards. The trick was getting it to spin backwards at approximately the same speed as it did forward so the message was clear.
But then people started listening to EVERYTHING backwards, hoping for secret messages (which were, for the most part, incredibly insipid when you could even actually hear them&#8230;), and making up all kinds of subversive, subconscious stuff that was supposedly on different albums, just to make people play them backwards and try to hear them.

You know that now you'll never be able to call me anything but shirly. :lol:
I do seem to remember something about the math equation, now that I've thought about it for a while. Like you though, I can't remember how it helped. I do know that you had to go to a certain spot in the song, and THEN play it backwards, and it started with something just horribly clever, like "you found the secret message…" :lmao:

It's a wonder ANY old rock albums are still playable, given how many people were forcing them to play backwards to hear all these hidden, subversive messages!

Jake

Yeah, you know, that's one of those things that you don't even think about, but I guess younger people have no idea about this.
Playing records backward, or "backmasking" was a pretty popular thing when I was younger. Many bands, including Pink Floyd, the Beatles and ELO, would "hide" secret messages that could only be heard by playing the record backwards. The trick was getting it to spin backwards at approximately the same speed as it did forward so the message was clear.
But then people started listening to EVERYTHING backwards, hoping for secret messages (which were, for the most part, incredibly insipid when you could even actually hear them…), and making up all kinds of subversive, subconscious stuff that was supposedly on different albums, just to make people play them backwards and try to hear them.

Ahhhh makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
....as long as it's at least a semi-auto,you can play your albums backwards at the correct pitch!!!

I still use a (don't laugh) Sanyo from the early seventies. The only problem is the strobe light intermitts. My friends' brother DJ'ed back then and he told me he didn't know how Sanyo screwed up, but they actually made a good product. He bought one for his girlfriend and said it was worth it (he used Thorens). That's the last of my original equipment since my Cerwin Vega speakers' foam dry rotted a couple of years ago.

Had bought this around 2 years ago. It's the Pro-jekt debut carbon.

Don't mind the pictures, I wasn't into photography back then :)

utype4ub.jpg
e8urasa6.jpg
ruvyquba.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back