Four of my best shots today. C&C appreciated!

The waterfall! Vertical framing..........I agree the water is excessively blurred and over exposed.

No one can show you other possibilites, because for whatever reason you don't allow editing of your photos.

How are you doing the B&W conversion?

I use the in camera monochrome setting. What do you recommend for B&W conversion?
I have changed the option to edit my photos; please feel free to show me other possibilities!
Greatly appreciated.

Hi, obviously I'm new so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but for #2 I think it would be a little better if the frame of the shot lined up with the red vertical plank, as it is the picture looks a little lopsided. I love your waterfall, although as someone else said it might have been cool to put it slightly off-centre. Still, good job (I think!)

I see what you mean with #2. Thanks for pointing that out!

#1 Like many have said, the water is overexposed, the contrast is high and theres a slight blue cast. I don't mind the cast that much. Cropping it the way you did was definitely the right thing to do

#2 Sorry, this is a "nothing" photo for me - it just doesn't do anything for interest. I feel the window frame is a big distraction. Perhaps getting in closer to get more deal of the leaf may have worked?

#3 Really like this one. The high contrast B&W makes this pop for me, with the trees giving a feel that nature is taking back over.

#4 I am a bit torn with. I have the feeling theres the making of a good photo here - the exposure and contrast are good, but theres something that I can't quite put my finger on that irks me about the composition. Maybe it's the angle. I don't know :)

Hope this is useful :)

Thank you for your critique. Very helpful!

The in camera monochrome setting basically just desaturates the photo, making for a very flat tonal range. The image sensor captures color data anyway amd only desaturates the JPEG.

It is better to start with the color image and adjust each color channel using a channel mixer, or by using a B&W adjustment layer if you have Photoshop.

Conversion to B&W is best left as one of the last steps in an editing workflow.

6603853989_b000ac5afa_b.jpg

6603843297_c967ee24cf_b.jpg

Last edited:
KmH said:
The in camera monochrome setting basically just desaturates the photo, making for a very flat tonal range. The image sensor captures color data anyway amd only desaturates the JPEG.

It is better to start with the color image and adjust each color channel using a channel mixer, or by using a B&W adjustment layer if you have Photoshop.

Conversion to B&W is best left as one of the last steps in an editing workflow.

Oh I see. I will be sure to do that from now on. I'm a big fan of b&w photography.
Thanks for the pointers and editing my photos. I see what you're talking about now with the blue cast.

I'm actually really enjoying #3. Looks like a bunch of laughing robots to me. I was surprised how boring it looked when you supplied the shot taken straight on. The perspective shown in #3 is good. The trees are an annoyance, but to me, worth the penalty when compared to the shot from straight-on.

I dig KmH's edit of your waterfall. It just needed to be a bit off center. Funny how that gives a vibrancy and energy to an image.

The above represents a noob opinion. Use with caution.

Desi

Most reactions

New Topics

Back