Momma, I'm coming home!

It's disgusting to me that a company will only fix a problem for you if a non-disclosure agreement is signed. I honestly admire the restraint that you have -- I'd want to scream it from the mountain tops if a company got in the way of my work like that. You and your work definitely have the platform to do so.
Disgusting is one adjective, I can think of many others. It's really discouraging and I have barely shot recently as the fun has been taken out of the equation after dealing with all this crap.

Ozzy would be proud of you.
View attachment 118655
Bingo you got it!

S**tty, but hardly surprising from any large company. Out of curiosity, what was it that they wanted covered by the NDA (in general terms of course)... it seems very strange to me.
It was very strange. They wanted to completely silence me in all forums and social media and agree to never sue them. There was no compensation attached other than the working body and no expiration date on the contract so it was from the beginning of time to the end of time... It really makes no sense to me my they would want me to agree to such ludicrous terms. The customer relations guy got angry at me when I told him I would not sign the contract..
Well my next camera won't be a Canon after reading this thread. I was seriously considering getting one too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's disgusting to me that a company will only fix a problem for you if a non-disclosure agreement is signed. I honestly admire the restraint that you have -- I'd want to scream it from the mountain tops if a company got in the way of my work like that. You and your work definitely have the platform to do so.
Disgusting is one adjective, I can think of many others. It's really discouraging and I have barely shot recently as the fun has been taken out of the equation after dealing with all this crap.

View attachment 118655
Bingo you got it!

S**tty, but hardly surprising from any large company. Out of curiosity, what was it that they wanted covered by the NDA (in general terms of course)... it seems very strange to me.
It was very strange. They wanted to completely silence me in all forums and social media and agree to never sue them. There was no compensation attached other than the working body and no expiration date on the contract so it was from the beginning of time to the end of time... It really makes no sense to me my they would want me to agree to such ludicrous terms. The customer relations guy got angry at me when I told him I would not sign the contract..
Well my next camera won't be a Canon after reading this thread. I was seriously considering getting one too.

Everyone has a nightmare story. Kris got a lemon and Canon treated him like crapola. There are lots of folks running around with Canons that are happy or content.
Just a thought.

I spoke with Canon today and they tried to smooth things over.. Too little too late as the saying goes..

I hope you were able throw a little something something in their face! Are you able to share what they tried to offer at that last minute?

View attachment 118655
Bingo you got it!

Everyone has a nightmare story. Kris got a lemon and Canon treated him like crapola. There are lots of folks running around with Canons that are happy or content.
Just a thought.
Yeah but the way they handled it means they do not value their customers. They are only concerned with the sales and not service. That's fine a lot of people feel good about their equipment but let's hope they don't have any issues because this is how they are going to be serviced. It's situations like these that say a lot about a company.

I spoke with Canon today and they tried to smooth things over.. Too little too late as the saying goes..

I hope you were able throw a little something something in their face! Are you able to share what they tried to offer at that last minute?
No it was the guy I liked, we had a nice conversation and explained that the agreement was only about the loaner camera.. They offered me nothing else. By the way I use the TC 1.4x II

That delivery time is trying to compete with Amazon. :)

That Sigma lens is really cheap (low cost) is it any good? I have always bought Nikon lenses for my Nikon cameras.
Do you really consider a 2000 lens low cost? I sure don't.. Maybe you looked at the contemporary not sport? .. It actually retails for more than the Nikon equivalent which is the 200-500..

No it was the guy I liked, we had a nice conversation and explained that the agreement was only about the loaner camera.. They offered me nothing else. By the way I use the TC 1.4x II
Got it, ty. Lifted a 600 version 2 today. The only thing heavy is the price tag.

Last big Nikon lens I got was around 8,500.00, that's getting into the 'spendy' range. :) lol
The Sigma sport was 1,700.00 I just looked at, not 2,000.00.

Last edited:
Last big Nikon lens I got was around 8,500.00, that's getting into the 'spendy' range. :) lol
I have a Canon 500 F4 that I will be selling, so I know pricey lenses as well, still don't consider 2k cheap, lol.. Brad Hill who is a pretty well known pro wildlife photog is selling his 600 f4 VR because he likes the Sig so much or at least that is what he said on his blog I think.. I know the Siggy won't be as good as my 500 F4 and that bumms me out.. Hoping it is close enough

View attachment 118655
Bingo you got it!

Just a thought.
Yeah but the way they handled it means they do not value their customers. They are only concerned with the sales and not service. That's fine a lot of people feel good about their equipment but let's hope they don't have any issues because this is how they are going to be serviced. It's situations like these that say a lot about a company.

Right. I should have said there are likely many Canon users out there that had good, great, fine experiences with customer service and customer care. I've read that Canon CPS service is better than other companies with similar service. Basically, you are likely to hear nightmare stories from consumers about most large companies. So I'm guessing this experience Kris had was the first and only bad experience you heard of from Canon? Good luck and hope you don't bounce around the web too much.

That Sigma lens is really cheap (low cost) is it any good? I have always bought Nikon lenses for my Nikon cameras.
I think it's safe to say Kris knows a thing, or possibly even two, about telephoto lenses.

Also not sure what you do for a living but if you consider $1800.00 cheap for a lens, well kudos.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I think it's safe to say Kris knows a thing, or possibly even two, about telephoto lenses.

Also not sure what you do for a living but if you consider $1800.00 cheap for a lens, well kudos.

I am retired, so I don't do anything for a living but enjoy life. :) I retired at 35 when my passive income from investments finally exceeded my active income from working.

I am retired, so I don't do anything for a living but enjoy life. :) I retired at 35 when my passive income from investments finally exceeded my active income from working.
How very nice for you. Well, back to reality for me I guess

My sympathies, Kris. I'm having similar issues with Pentax who have had a lens in for repair (non warranty so chargeable) for 5 months. They took more than 3 months to come back with a quotation. Bearing in mind it was a £4500 wide angle zoom lens (DA645 28 - 45 f/4.5) I was expecting an 'ouch' figure (especially as the lens dropped (my own clumsy fault - it was damaged optically just mechanically on the zoom ring as it knocked the screws loose) but I didn't expect them to take 3.5 months to come back with a £840 repair figure, and then a further 2 months in repair. My dealer chased got no response, then was told he'd never instructed to repair (even though at that point the lens was already in Japan). I've used all available channels including twitter, and initially Ricoh responded but then nothing back from Johnsons who are their repair agents in UK, and then Ricoh themselves went quiet on me.

They've finally woken up again and my lens will finally be in the UK next week and Ricoh are going to let Johnsons know what kind of discount they are going to allow on the repair...

I certainly won't be signing any NDA agreement. I only do that when they pay me money!

Good luck with your move back to the world of Nikonians...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back