Momma, I'm coming home!

man, just started reading this thread. sorry to hear you got to deal with that crap. i am not a canon fan, i do like their point and shoot and their bridge cameras but i don't know for some reason i like nikon for DSLR, canon does have some very nice lenses though..

just out of curiosity what is the problem with the 7200 and 150-600 that makes it ho hum.. that is what i am shooting with and there is one thing i have going on that i feel is a pain in the ass with that set up, i constantly have to use exposure comp between +1 or some times up to +2 because when using auto ISO it usually does not give me a proper exposure, its usually underexosed so i need to adjust it my self with exposure comp constantly.
Thanks Danny, I forgot how small the D7200 was and it just didn't feel right in my hands. Once you are used to a 500 F4 it is very difficult going back to a consumer zoom. When the birds are back lit you really have to crank up the EC. Are you using spot metering?

If you like using ec in manual, it's a good thing you don't shoot Canon. ;) Not an option.....
Not true with 7dm2. I use it often. . There is a meter that goes up the right side of the view finder you must pay attention to.
Agreed and on the 1D4 I shoot in shutter speed priority if I need EC because the aperture doesn't matter much with the 500 F4 unless you need more DOF. In that case I just shoot straight up manual..

man, just started reading this thread. sorry to hear you got to deal with that crap. i am not a canon fan, i do like their point and shoot and their bridge cameras but i don't know for some reason i like nikon for DSLR, canon does have some very nice lenses though..

just out of curiosity what is the problem with the 7200 and 150-600 that makes it ho hum.. that is what i am shooting with and there is one thing i have going on that i feel is a pain in the ass with that set up, i constantly have to use exposure comp between +1 or some times up to +2 because when using auto ISO it usually does not give me a proper exposure, its usually underexosed so i need to adjust it my self with exposure comp constantly.
Thanks Danny, I forgot how small the D7200 was and it just didn't feel right in my hands. Once you are used to a 500 F4 it is very difficult going back to a consumer zoom. When the birds are back lit you really have to crank up the EC. Are you using spot metering?

If you like using ec in manual, it's a good thing you don't shoot Canon. ;) Not an option.....
Not true with 7dm2. I use it often. . There is a meter that goes up the right side of the view finder you must pay attention to.
Agreed and on the 1D4 I shoot in shutter speed priority if I need EC because the aperture doesn't matter much with the 500 F4 unless you need more DOF. In that case I just shoot straight up manual..

i usually use center weighted metering. that seems like what most bird photographers seem to like, i tried using spot metering but from what i remember it did not seem to make any difference as far as how much i needed to adjust the EC. what metering mode do you suggest ? if its something other than center weighted ill give that a try again..

i can imagine going from a lens like that to a 150-600 would be a pretty big difference. i usually keep this lens wide open, images seem plenty sharp and i seem to get a good DOF. usually i just adjust shutter speed according to what i am shooting or how much light is available that day.

I don't remember reading any other birdographers using center weighted (although I have been using it recently). Spot is what I've used most, especially useful for BIF against the sky. Get as much exposure on the bird and whatever happens with the sky, so be it. Having a blown out sky is less an issue than having a blown out subject.

any idea how spot metering works with the 51 point focus settings where the camera chooses the focus point.. does it spot meter on the focus point or right in the center of the screen.. i mean most of the time i try to frame the bird directly in the center but when i need to get off a quick shot or its in flight some times its not right in the center of the frame...

lately i have been using the 51 point auto focus. when i look at the photo in the camera and have it set to show me where the focus point was its usually right on the bird which makes me wonder how it works lol.. how does it know i wanted to shoot that bird instead of all the other junk in the frame... pretty cool that it almost always gets focus right on what i want it to. so i guess that is what i am wondering what spot metering does. say it chooses a focus point to the right side of the frame. i imagine that is the part where it will spot meter correct ?

any idea how spot metering works with the 51 point focus settings where the camera chooses the focus point.. does it spot meter on the focus point or right in the center of the screen.. i mean most of the time i try to frame the bird directly in the center but when i need to get off a quick shot or its in flight some times its not right in the center of the frame...

lately i have been using the 51 point auto focus. when i look at the photo in the camera and have it set to show me where the focus point was its usually right on the bird which makes me wonder how it works lol.. how does it know i wanted to shoot that bird instead of all the other junk in the frame... pretty cool that it almost always gets focus right on what i want it to. so i guess that is what i am wondering what spot metering does. say it chooses a focus point to the right side of the frame. i imagine that is the part where it will spot meter correct ?

I don't know the details of your specific camera, but I think most often it's the central or center portion of the view finder / or based on the center focus point.
Metering & Exposure Guide | Everything D7200/D7100/D7000

No really, I finally am.. Easing my way in with a D7200 that a friend no longer needs after he got the D500.. Once I sell all my Canon gear it is D500 and 500 F4 time..

Oh, if anyone is looking for Canon gear... Just saying..

No really, I finally am.. Easing my way in with a D7200 that a friend no longer needs after he got the D500.. Once I sell all my Canon gear it is D500 and 500 F4 time..

I knew it,its In your DNA Nikon Blood.:band: Welcome Back Soon.You want D500,I want to add the D750 to me D7200.I sold my D3300 and used some of the money for 50mm 1.8G.FX ready.

Did something else happen, I thought you were sorted with the canon stuff?

I too thought you are happy now with the 7D II replacement.
Was it the insane amount of positive reviews the D500 gets that broke you and made you come back to the Jedi side of the force ?

It's complicated, but it was just time.. Seems,like everyone I know is getting a D500. I did an informal test with a D500 and the Canon and the D500 easily won...

It's complicated, but it was just time.. Seems,like everyone I know is getting a D500. I did an informal test with a D500 and the Canon and the D500 easily won...
Isn't it amazing how yesterday's king is tossed aside for the new king ?
Thank god Nikon and Canon has about 3-4 year gap between their expensive models.
One thing that amazes me with Sony is how fast they change their models.
You buy a new A7 series camera only to find the next year a new model came out.

Thank god Nikon and Canon has about 3-4 year gap between their expensive models.
Well in the case of the D500 it was more like 7 years lol.. Once I'm back in back for good, well at least as long as Nikon is in business, lol..

Well then I just think it's fair that you must show us what you can do with a d7200

Reactions: alv

Well in the case of the D500 it was more like 7 years lol.. Once I'm back in back for good, well at least as long as Nikon is in business, lol..
Well then officially let me say (again LOL) welcome back, we missed you here, we were all sad when you were seduced by the dark side of the force :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back