The new Nikon Z-Mount Cameras- who is in?

I am real conflicted over pre-ordering a Z6. I have a D750, why would I need a Z6 but, I sure am gassing for one.

I am real conflicted over pre-ordering a Z6. I have a D750, why would I need a Z6 but, I sure am gassing for one.

I wish I could say this was the case for me. I really do.

But I’m underwhelmed by the new Z series. I really like my Fuji x-t20 for the fact that it’s mirrorless, but the image quality doesn’t knock me out. The files always seem kind of muddy.

All this to say: I’ve been bitten my the mirrorless bug, and Nikon’s offerings aren’t what I’m looking for at this time. I have a strong feeling I’ll be moving to Sony in the next few months and selling off my Nikon kit.. and it hurts to say that.

I’ll be renting an A7R III and a lens or two to demo and see if I like it. If I do, expect a purge of my gear closet.

But I’m underwhelmed by the new Z series. I really like my Fuji x-t20 for the fact that it’s mirrorless, but the image quality doesn’t knock me out. The files always seem kind of muddy.

All this to say: I’ve been bitten my the mirrorless bug, and Nikon’s offerings aren’t what I’m looking for at this time. I have a strong feeling I’ll be moving to Sony in the next few months and selling off my Nikon kit.. and it hurts to say that.

I’ll be renting an A7R III and a lens or two to demo and see if I like it. If I do, expect a purge of my gear closet.
What is it about the Z series that has you underwhelmed?

Battery life, no eye af, no second card slot.

If I’m being honest I could probably live with most of those issues, but the Sony stuff has been tempting me for a while now and I’ve been ignoring it. I was hoping Nikon would really knock it out of the park with the z series, and they just didn’t blow me away enough to make me not want the Sony.

Yes, this is likely just GAS. But it’s hard to ignore. The Sony stuff seems to take what I like about my D810 and what I like about my X-T20 and combines all their best features. The only thing I don’t love about the Sony stuff is the ergonomics, but I could get used to that.

Battery life, no eye af, no second card slot.

If I’m being honest I could probably live with most of those issues, but the Sony stuff has been tempting me for a while now and I’ve been ignoring it. I was hoping Nikon would really knock it out of the park with the z series, and they just didn’t blow me away enough to make me not want the Sony.

Yes, this is likely just GAS. But it’s hard to ignore. The Sony stuff seems to take what I like about my D810 and what I like about my X-T20 and combines all their best features. The only thing I don’t love about the Sony stuff is the ergonomics, but I could get used to that.
I don't know about the A7 but my Sony A6000 pretty bad and I always carry a second battery. My biggest gripe with Sony is their ergonomics. I've just gotten so use to Nikons natural ergonomics that everything else just feels wrong. Renting the A7R is a really good idea. Hope you can deal with the Sony ergonomics better than me.

I nearly went to SONY a couple years ago. But their "Star Eater" problem stopped it. I don't know if they fixed it yet. ie, software which inadvertantly removed stars small points of light in a night photo situation.

I nearly went to SONY a couple years ago. But their "Star Eater" problem stopped it. I don't know if they fixed it yet. ie, software which inadvertantly removed stars small points of light in a night photo situation.

This was definitely a problem a few years ago, but it seems that the newer top end Sony bodies have fixed it. I know of alot of prominent Astro shooters who use the A7R II and III

I rather have the Sony A7III over the Z6 and if i was going to spend 3 grand on the Z7 ,I buy the D850 instead. I see nothing exciting about the Z6 or Z7

the comments on both the Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras are kinda funny... people are like:

for years now: OMG Nikon and Canon dont make a mirrless camera...they suck! they arent doing their business right! they arent doing right by their consumers!

Nikon and Canon finally produce mirrorless cameras: OMG Nikon and Canon arent making mirrorless cameras to the exact specs that "I" think they should be! they suck! they arent doing their business right! they arent doing right by their customers!

I rather have the Sony A7III over the Z6 and if i was going to spend 3 grand on the Z7 ,I buy the D850 instead. I see nothing exciting about the Z6 or Z7
I ran into someone shooting the Sony A7 something . I looked through the viewfinder and tried to track an Osprey and I was like no f&#+_ thanks.. confirmed my complete lack of interest in any ML camera

I ran into someone shooting the Sony A7 something . I looked through the viewfinder and tried to track an Osprey and I was like no f&#+_ thanks.. confirmed my complete lack of interest in any ML camera

Huh, I don't seem to have any problems tracking anything from large birds to swallows with my mirrorless.

I think the evf takes a bit of getting used to, just like any new piece of equipment. I can’t imagine going back to a non evf and using just the exposure + - again after being able to SEE my exposure.

I think the evf takes a bit of getting used to, just like any new piece of equipment. I can’t imagine going back to a non evf and using just the exposure + - again after being able to SEE my exposure.

This is where I’m at.

I hated EVFs as much or more than anyone, even after first getting the x-t20. But it’s 100% won me over at this point and I could never go back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back