A little disappointed in Nikon's new release announcement...

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was hoping Nikon was going to announce a replacement for the D300s, as that's going to be my next body. The D5100 looks decent, though. Don't have any interest in the microphone.

It's nice to see the upgraded LCD, both in resolution and the way it articulates, a better sensor with better ISO performance. It'll be nice to see some in depth reviews in a couple months.

Canadian Nikon D5100 and ME-1 press releases and prices | Nikon Rumors

Nikon D5100 DSLR surfaces with 16.2 megapixel sensor, 1080p video recording -- Engadget

Also a little dissapointed myself...I was aiming at the D7000 for low-light but now there's a cheaper and "better" alternative? :O

Seems Nikon is plugging the 5100 as a video camera more than a still camera.

Considering the way that the 5DM2 became a revolution for the film industry (both big budget and low budget) I'm not surprised to read of Nikon following suit. I think that the idea of the DSLR now becoming a good quality video recording device as well as a stills is now going to be pretty solid (I wonder if this will affect the other brands in how they treat their DSLRs - they might haev a lot to catch up on with video).

That said as a canon shooter I'm glad nikon is jumping on video - it should give canon marketing department a kick to stop hobbling the video and let it advance further (or rather allow the firmwire to unlock more of its potential)

I can definitely see the benefit of better integrated video. I guess it just doesn't appeal to me because I don't have a need for video. With that said, I'm sure it fills a large gap in the consumer market. I'm sure if I had a family, or some hobby that benefits from video, I would be ecstatic! You do make a good point, though, about Nikon's advances in video kicking Canon's butt in gear.

Aye video isn't for everyone and the inclusion of it isn't really for all photographers either - its more aimed at cornering the amateur and small scale studios as well as reporters and journalists. The DSLR video setup being considerable smaller than regular video recorders (hence why bigger studios want it); considerably cheaper for its features than video with variable aperture and lens selection (there comes the small scale and amateur studios) and finally reporters/journalists who are highly mobile and in need of video as well as stills (the net demands video whilst the papers want the stills) - so having all in one makes their job easier.

The D300s/D700/D3 replacements will be announced later this year, or early next year.

I was really disappointed too, I thought the next release was going to be the d300s replacement as well

Also a little dissapointed myself...I was aiming at the D7000 for low-light but now there's a cheaper and "better" alternative? :O

Depend on what you wanna do but i would still go with the D7000. seems like video capabilities are the same. d7000 has more advance feature and a built in motor.
D5100 doesnt even have 2 controll wheels. if you are planing on buying the d7000 go for it because the d5100 will not be a better camera. i dont think nikon would have produice a camera geared towards the same crowd with same features and put it on the market 6 month after. the d5100 is deffinetly geared towards video shooter.

D300s replacement will deffinetly be a kick ass camera. i am thinking on buying one when it comes out and use my d7000 a second body. I cant wait to see what they will come out with.

I'm just glad they were able to introduce something.

Good point. For the survivability of the company, I'm sure glad they did. Keep their revenue coming in to rebuild.

I recently had to part with my 70-200 Nikon VRII. I was hoping to replace it in a months time, but the availability is looking very sparse right now. There is a lot of price gouging happening on EBay and some online retailers that have remaining stock to sell. It is not just the lens I mentioned, but many products.

How is it at local levels in large cities?

I think it's a good idea. If they do all this with the D5100, I'm interested to see what kind of video impliments they put into the D300s and D700 replacements. Should be quite exciting!

Though, I am kind of worried about that "night vision" mode. Hopefully its not all grain.

Mark

Just my two cents worth,
As an owner of a D300S, D700 and D7000; as much as people are in denial about this, the D7000 is an upgrade to the D300s. It is simply a better cam and not much lower than the D700. As an owner of these fine cams and especially the D7000, I too am looking forward to the true D300s replacement. We have much to look forward to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back