Fuji 14mm or Rokinon 12mm?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently run into a need for a wide angle lens. It definitely won't be a heavy hitter in my bag but I do shoot the occasional landscape and need something wider than the 18-55. I've been waffling back and forth between these 2 options. Leaning toward the 14mm only because of the AF - not sure if MF with the 12mm will be good with my eyesight. I can MF the 60mm or the Lensbaby 56 because I'm usually in close with those. I've never used manual focus for landscape photos, I worry I'll be struggling to get decent focus because it will be too far away for me to make out details.

I've found a mint used copy of the 12mm for $230 or a 14mm with some external marks for $425.

Who owns or has used these? Thoughts? Anyone tried both?

Thoughts? Rokinon...a brand of lens that, a few years ago, was sooooo poor on quality control that lensrentals.com quit including their products in their annual list of malfunctioning lenses; the SamiRokiBowe lenses were horrible on quality control (Samyang,Rokinon,Bower,Vivitar-SAME stuff,different importers/distributors).

Rokinon has designed some very sharp lenses, at low retail prices, for sure. VERY sharp, good performers optically, but anecdotally, metric feces-tonnes of breakdowns...all across the internet the stories are there about the 30- and 60-day SamiRokiBowe lifespan horror stories. However-the prices are VERY low compared against say a Canon or Nikon 14mm lens, so....

Manual focus f or distant scenes will be a matter of setting the lens to Infinity, or slightly inside Infinity.Done. Huuuuuge depth of field with a 12mm or 14mm. At close ranges, 3 meters or so ought to do the trick. At intermediate distances, 5 meters ought to be a fine distance.

I've recently run into a need for a wide angle lens. It definitely won't be a heavy hitter in my bag but I do shoot the occasional landscape and need something wider than the 18-55. I've been waffling back and forth between these 2 options. Leaning toward the 14mm only because of the AF - not sure if MF with the 12mm will be good with my eyesight. I can MF the 60mm or the Lensbaby 56 because I'm usually in close with those. I've never used manual focus for landscape photos, I worry I'll be struggling to get decent focus because it will be too far away for me to make out details.

I've found a mint used copy of the 12mm for $230 or a 14mm with some external marks for $425.

Who owns or has used these? Thoughts? Anyone tried both?

I'm going to be listing my 10-24 for sale in the coming days. It's a great lens, I just don't like how large it is on my X-T20, and I find myself preferring my D810 for wide angle work.

It isn't one of the two you listed, but I'd cut you a heck of a deal on it. Shoot me a DM if you're at all interested, I'll give you first shot at it.

Peg, have you considered the 10-24? I've read it has fantastic OIS, and a super lens. I have seen some great images from it on flickr and x photographer websites.

I had the Rokinon 12mm and it's a super sharp lens (f/4 onwards). It was well made and super cheap at $200! Great for sky shots, landscapes (focus to infinity) - BUT the kicker you will find is having to change settings in your camera every time you want to use it. You need to set the camera to "shoot without a lens" and that gets tedious when you switch lenses. You'll forget to do it, and then in a rush you won't find the setting until you google it lol.

But, the lens itself, is cheap and worthwhile for casual shooting.

I would skip the Rokinon; if you get a good one, you're fine, if not... With what I've seen and heard of Fuji glass, I would DEFINITELY spend the extra, even if it's not a 'daily driver'.

I had the Rokinon 12mm and it's a super sharp lens (f/4 onwards). It was well made and super cheap at $200! Great for sky shots, landscapes (focus to infinity) - BUT the kicker you will find is having to change settings in your camera every time you want to use it. You need to set the camera to "shoot without a lens" and that gets tedious when you switch lenses. You'll forget to do it, and then in a rush you won't find the setting until you google it lol.

I have to do that for a couple of my adapted lenses. Honestly, I changed it once and never changed it back and it has made absolutely no difference when I shoot with a Fuji lens and have "shoot without lens" set as yes.

I have to do that for a couple of my adapted lenses. Honestly, I changed it once and never changed it back and it has made absolutely no difference when I shoot with a Fuji lens and have "shoot without lens" set as yes.
I agree, makes no difference with Fujifilm mirrorless.

Man, I've had to do that on my XPRO2 and XH1 - It wouldn't autofocus once I switched back to Fuji AF lenses. I had the latest firmware at the time, too - bah hey - I'm no expert! :)

Man, I've had to do that on my XPRO2 and XH1 - It wouldn't autofocus once I switched back to Fuji AF lenses. I had the latest firmware at the time, too - bah hey - I'm no expert! :)

I can see that would be a pita. Have not had that issue with the XT-2 and I use several non Fuji lenses switching back and forth without making any changes to the settings other than changing from AF to MF so I can get focus peaking to work.

Went for the 14mm. For the price, I can surely break even on a resale if I don’t like it and I see a lot of used Rokinons available for sale should I decide I need wider. I had the tokina 11 to 16 mm and always felt like I was too far away at 11, so hoping the 14 mm is wide enough for me.

.thanks all for the input.

14mm arrived today. Seems to be working great and just the originally disclosed external marks. Just a few quick test shots of the dog but sharpness looks good! Excited to use this on some fall landscape shots.

On a related note - I now have 3 Fuji lenses that are 58 mm filter size. The 14 mm, 18-55 mm and the 50-230 mm. I think this makes a decent landscape/seascape kit. I want a screw on circular ND filter(s). Suggestions? Something stackable I think...maybe a 3 and a 6...

Good choice on the Fujinon. I have a 8mm Rokinon Fish. It is a very nice lens ... but Derrel hit the nail in the head with quality control. As to Manual Focus, practice manual with existing lens and switch on “Focus Peaking”. It works extremely well and it’s easy-pezy.

I want a screw on circular ND filter(s). Suggestions? Something stackable

I recently switched from the screw on to a Cokin | P-Series Filter Holder | 89988000 filter holder. It's not as compact as the round screw on but the flexibility of switching between different diameter lenses, the availability of filters, and the ability to stack and adjust filters to me outweighs the inconvenience.

I want a screw on circular ND filter(s). Suggestions? Something stackable

I recently switched from the screw on to a Cokin | P-Series Filter Holder | 89988000 filter holder. It's not as compact as the round screw on but the flexibility of switching between different diameter lenses, the availability of filters, and the ability to stack and adjust filters to me outweighs the inconvenience.

I have a set of the square filters with the variable rings. I rarely use them - for me, they are a pita to use in the field and don’t fit well in my smallish bag. I want the convenience of the screw on filter. Not the most economical choice but since it will fit 3 of my lenses, not a terrible waste of money either.

Most reactions

Back