How to increase contrast/brightness of product photos?

Since you're obsessing about white balance, find out exactly what the output temperature of your lights are. Take some test shots and see if a gray card is actually truly neutral. Say, RGB is 157,155,160. Then check what the color temp of the image file was rendered at. Say, 5325K. If so, then always shoot with your cameras' WB set to 5325K. You can now forget about white balance in post.

If the RGB of the image isn't close to neutral (say, 138,147, 160), you'll need to adjust your camera's WB temperature until the RGB gets close to a true neutral gray.

I know the K of all my lighting. Bare strobe, various umbrellas and reflectors, the modeling lights etc. So if I'm using the strobes shooting through a white umbrella, I set my camera to a given K. If I'm using silver reflector umbrellas, a change the K in the camera.

i think your lighting might be a little uneven which is causing some shadowing, but WB can be made whatever you want it to be. plenty of data to play with if you shoot raw. lots of room for editing.

hbPl55Y.JPG

Then check what the color temp of the image file was rendered at.

How to get this value? Is it 'as shot' temp value in Camera Raw? Yes, I'm still a newbie :) Also, there's no way to set K in my camera, unfortunately...

Last edited:
Then check what the color temp of the image file was rendered at.

How to get this value? Is it 'as shot' temp value in Camera Raw? Yes, I'm still a newbie :) Also, there's no way to set K in my camera, unfortunately...

Most every photo app can display the color temp the image was recorded at.

What camera are you using?

Most every photo app can display the color temp the image was recorded at.

What camera are you using?

Canon G5 X. If you mean their own software then I never tried it as I thought PS can do all the same and beyond :)

If you tried double the distance and it looks slightly gray instead of white that means your exposure is still incorrect and that you need to expose more! I told you how to get more even lighting between the foreground and the background-/-by increasing the distance between the subject and the light. The fact that your newer pictures look slightly gray indicates a slight lack of exposure, so give more shutter time and it will turn to pure white, and you will not have the backgrounds turning gray with a white box in front--but will have pretty even lighting between the background and the subject.

Without a calibrated monitor, any editing with contrast & color accuracy as a result is a moot point.

And most viewers of his site will not have photo calibrated monitors.

This has always been the issues with viewing images on the internet.
You have no idea how the monitor of the viewer is set, so you have no idea of how the image will really look.

But using a calibrated monitor will at least eliminate half the problem, so he is closer to a good image.

BTW as a related example, years ago I was told by a salesman that ALL the TVs on the floor were adjusted for VIVID pictures, so the TV image would look attractive to the customer. They did not care about accurate color/image reproduction, just how good the TV image looked. And bright colors sold more than dimmer but more accurate colors.

And on the few monitors that I have calibrated, the difference between the "out of the box" setting and the calibrated setting was significant.
Acceptably close, but significantly different than the calibrated monitor.

128,128,128 is 18% gray, but any RGB set where all three colors are close is a neutral gray. 50,53,49..... 211,214,209....... 142,140,141.....

Alright, so I did a couple of test shots and looks like I'm getting RGB 100,100,100 with ~6500 K and tint +20... But that's a big difference, how is this possible at all, I'm shooting at night with no umbrellas, the manufacturer claims the lamps are 5500 K, I bought them just 3 months ago and used them only a few times.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Here's the RAW file: IMG_0300.CR2

Last edited:
I'm getting an average of 87,95,105.

Does your camera support bracketing ?
Threw a few of your images into Photomatix and HDR seemed to get the separation you are looking for.
Background and subject being same colour does not help.

You're working with the raw file. I have the .JPEG.

You're working with the raw file. I have the .JPEG.

But... that's the only way to do what you suggested :) I'm tweaking temperature to get even RGB numbers. I attached the raw file in my previous message, didn't you notice it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back